Remove Bloatware & Ads on Poco X8 Pro Max – Complete Guide

Table of Contents

I'll never forget the moment I first powered on my Poco X8 Pro Max.

It was a Saturday morning in New York. I'd just unboxed the phone, peeled off the protective film, and held this beautiful piece of hardware in my hands. The 6.83-inch AMOLED display was stunning. The matte finish felt premium. I was genuinely excited.

Then I swiped through the setup screens and landed on the home screen.

My excitement turned into something closer to horror.

There were apps I didn't ask for everywhere. Shopping apps. Game apps. News apps. A browser I'd never use. A music streaming service I'd never heard of. I spent the next 20 minutes just trying to figure out what was on my phone and what I could actually remove.

Remove Bloatware & Ads on Poco X8 Pro Max – Complete Guide

And the ads. Oh, the ads. They popped up in the file manager. They appeared in the weather app. They showed up in the theme store. Every time I thought I'd cleared one, another one would appear somewhere else.

If you're reading this because you just unboxed your Poco X8 Pro Max and feel like you've bought a phone that's already half-full of stuff you don't want – I know exactly how you feel. It's frustrating. It's annoying. And it makes the phone feel cheap.

But here's the good news: almost all of it can be removed or disabled. It takes some time and patience, but you can turn this ad-filled, bloatware-heavy phone into a clean, streamlined device that actually feels like yours.

Here's exactly what I did, what I removed, and how I got rid of the ads for good.

🚨 Three Things You Can Do Right Now (Do These First)

Before we dive into the full cleanup guide, here are the three most effective things you can do immediately to start cleaning up your phone:

  • Uninstall: Or disable all third-party apps you don't need. Go through your app drawer and uninstall anything you don't recognize or won't use. For system apps that can't be uninstalled, you can disable them in Settings > Apps > Manage Apps.
  • Personalized Ads: Turn them off. Go to Settings > Passwords & Security > Privacy > Ads and toggle off "Personalized ad recommendations." This doesn't remove all ads, but it stops them from tracking you.
  • MSA (MIUI System Ads): Disable them. Go to Settings > Additional Settings > System > User Experience Program and toggle off "Join the User Experience Program." This reduces the number of system-level ads.

The Day I Realized My Phone Came With Free Clutter

Let me take you back to where it all started.

I bought my Poco X8 Pro Max in April 2026, right after the global launch. For around $529 USD, I was getting a Dimensity 9500s processor, an 8,500mAh battery that lasted two full days, and a gorgeous 6.83-inch AMOLED display. It felt like I'd stolen a flagship phone for half the price.

The hype was real. Everyone was talking about this phone. It was supposed to be the ultimate value king. I was thrilled.

Then I started using it.

The first thing I noticed was the sheer number of pre-installed apps. There were games I'd never play. Shopping apps from regions I didn't live in. A browser I'd never use. A music streaming service that wasn't Spotify. A video player that was redundant. A file manager that was full of ads.

I counted them. There were over 30 third-party apps pre-installed on my brand new phone. Thirty. That's not a phone – that's a delivery mechanism for junk.

And the ads. Every time I opened the file manager, there was a banner ad. Every time I checked the weather, there was a promoted app. Every time I opened the theme store, there was a recommendation I didn't ask for.

I felt like I'd bought a phone that was already half-filled with someone else's stuff. It didn't feel like my phone. It felt like a showroom floor.

I spent the next few days in a state of mild irritation, trying to figure out what I could remove, what I had to keep, and how to turn off the ads that kept popping up.

Spoiler alert: I figured it out. And now my phone is clean.

⚠️ A Word of Caution Before You Start Deleting Things

Let me be straight with you: removing pre-installed apps is generally safe, but you need to be careful. Some system apps are essential for the phone to function properly. If you delete the wrong thing, you could cause stability issues or even boot loops.

I'm sharing my personal experience and what I've learned. I'm not responsible if something goes wrong with your device. I've removed dozens of apps without issues, but I've also seen people accidentally delete critical system components. Be careful, read the descriptions, and when in doubt, disable instead of uninstall.

🔴 CRITICAL: Back Up Your Data Before You Start Deleting Things

⚠️ STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND BACK UP YOUR PHONE.

Before you start uninstalling apps and disabling system components, I need you to understand something: while most of these changes are safe, there's always a small risk when messing with system-level software.

Back up everything important – photos, contacts, documents, WhatsApp backups – to Google Photos, Google Drive, or a computer. Do this now. If something goes wrong, you'll be glad you did.

The Cleanup Guide: From Least Risky to Most Effective

I've organized these steps from the safest and easiest to the most aggressive. Start at the beginning and work your way through.

Step 1: Uninstall All Third-Party Apps (The Easy Part)

The first step is the simplest: get rid of all the third-party apps you don't want.

What I did:

  • Opened: The app drawer.
  • Long-pressed: On each app I didn't want.
  • Selected: "Uninstall" for apps that could be removed.
  • Action: For apps that only offered "Disable," I moved on to Step 2.

Apps I removed (your list might vary depending on region):

  • Shopping apps: (AliExpress, Lazada, Shopee).
  • Game apps: (various casual games).
  • News apps: (various sources).
  • Browser apps: (Google Chrome was already installed, so I didn't need the Xiaomi browser).
  • Music streaming apps: (various services).
  • Video player apps: (various services).
  • Unrecognized apps: Any app I didn't recognize or couldn't see myself using.

The result: A much cleaner app drawer with only the apps I actually use.

Effectiveness: ~40-50% reduction in clutter.

Step 2: Disable System Apps You Don't Need (The Intermediate Step)

Some apps can't be uninstalled because they're part of the system. But you can disable them, which prevents them from running, updates from downloading, and icons from appearing in your app drawer.

What I did:

  • Navigation: Went to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps.
  • Selection: Scrolled through the list and tapped on apps I didn't need.
  • Action: For apps where the "Uninstall" button was grayed out, I tapped Disable.

System apps I disabled:

  • Xiaomi Browser: (I use Chrome).
  • Xiaomi Music: (I use Spotify).
  • Xiaomi Video: (I use VLC).
  • Mi Pay: (I don't use it).
  • Mi Credit: (I don't use it).
  • Mi Games: (I don't use it).
  • Scanner: (I use Google Drive for scanning).
  • Notes: (I use Google Keep).
  • Compass: (I don't use it).

The result: A cleaner system with fewer background processes and less clutter.

Effectiveness: ~20-30% additional reduction in clutter.

Step 3: Turn Off Personalized Ads (The Privacy Step)

This doesn't remove all ads, but it stops them from tracking you and showing you targeted recommendations.

What I did:

  • Navigation: Went to Settings > Passwords & Security > Privacy > Ads.
  • Setting: Toggled off "Personalized ad recommendations."
  • Privacy: Tapped "Reset advertising ID" to clear any existing tracking data.

The result: Fewer targeted ads and a sense that my data wasn't being mined quite as aggressively.

Effectiveness: ~30% reduction in ad annoyance.

Step 4: Disable MSA (MIUI System Ads) – The Critical Step

This is the big one. MSA is the system service that shows ads in Xiaomi and Poco system apps.

What I did:

  • Navigation: Went to Settings > Additional Settings > System > User Experience Program.
  • Action: Toggled off "Join the User Experience Program."
  • Navigation: Went back to Settings > Additional Settings > System > MSA.
  • Action: Toggled off "MSA" completely.

The result: A dramatic reduction in system-level ads. The file manager, weather app, and theme store all became significantly less annoying.

Effectiveness: ~50-60% reduction in system ads.

Step 5: Turn Off Ads in Individual Apps (The Detail Work)

Even after disabling MSA, some apps still show ads. You need to turn them off individually.

What I did:

  • File Manager: Opened the app, tapped the menu button, selected Settings, and toggled off "Receive recommendations."
  • Weather App: Opened the app, tapped the menu button, selected Settings, and toggled off "Receive recommendations."
  • Theme Store: Opened the app, tapped the menu button, selected Settings, and toggled off "Receive recommendations."

The result: A completely ad-free experience in most system apps.

Effectiveness: ~20-30% additional reduction in ads.

Step 6: Use a Debloater Tool (The Advanced Step)

If you want to go further and remove system apps that can't be disabled normally, you can use a debloater tool. This requires a PC and some technical know-how.

What I did:

  • Preparation: Enabled USB Debugging in Developer Options.
  • Connection: Connected my phone to my PC.
  • Software: Used a tool like Universal Android Debloater (free, open-source).
  • Action: Carefully selected and removed additional system apps I didn't need.

Warning: This is advanced. Only do this if you know what you're doing. Removing the wrong system app can cause your phone to become unstable or boot loop.

The result: A truly clean system with only the apps I actually use.

Effectiveness: ~10-15% additional cleanup (but with higher risk).

Step 7: Factory Reset and Start Fresh (The Nuclear Option)

If you want to start from scratch and only install what you actually need, a factory reset followed by a minimal setup can be effective.

What I did:

  • Backup: Backed up everything important.
  • Action: Went to Settings > About Phone > Factory Reset.
  • Setup: Skipped as many optional steps as possible and only installed the apps I actually needed.

The result: A phone that feels brand new and only has what I want on it.

Effectiveness: 100% – but time-consuming.

💰 What It Costs to Clean Up (2026 Estimates)

Solution Estimated Cost (USD) Notes
Uninstall Third-Party Apps $0 Free – do it yourself
Disable System Apps $0 Free – do it yourself
Turn Off Personalized Ads $0 Free – do it yourself
Disable MSA $0 Free – do it yourself
Turn Off Ads in Individual Apps $0 Free – do it yourself
Universal Android Debloater $0 Free – requires a PC
Factory Reset $0 Free – but back up first!
Professional Cleanup Service $20 - $50 Only if you're really stuck

🔍 Symptom Diagnostic Table

What You're Experiencing Most Likely Cause Jump to Solution
App drawer is full of apps you don't want Third-party bloatware Step 1 → Step 2
Ads pop up in system apps MSA or personalized ads Step 3 → Step 4 → Step 5
Recommendations appear in File Manager App-specific ad settings Step 5
You want a completely clean system You want to start fresh Step 6 → Step 7
You're overwhelmed by the number of apps You don't know what's safe to remove Step 1 → Step 2
Ads keep coming back after you turn them off You missed a setting Step 4 → Step 5

🛡️ How I Keep My Phone Clean Now

After going through this cleanup process, I've established a routine to keep my phone free of junk:

  • Monitor: I check for new apps regularly. After system updates, I check the app drawer for any new apps that might have been installed.
  • Selection: I don't install apps I don't need. I'm more selective about what I download.
  • Launcher: I use a clean launcher. I switched to a minimal launcher that hides apps I don't use.
  • Permissions: I review permissions. I periodically check app permissions to make sure nothing is running in the background unnecessarily.
  • Maintenance: I keep MSA disabled. I check this setting after major updates to make sure it hasn't been re-enabled.

🔬 Why This Happened: My Take on the Poco X8 Pro Max

Let me be honest with you – the Poco X8 Pro Max is an incredible phone in many ways. The Dimensity 9500s processor is a beast, the 8,500mAh battery is legendary, and the 6.83-inch AMOLED display is stunning. The value for money is exceptional.

But this is how Xiaomi keeps the price down.

Xiaomi and Poco subsidize the cost of the phone by including third-party apps and showing ads. These apps pay Xiaomi to be pre-installed. The ads generate revenue. It's a business model that allows them to sell the phone at a lower price.

Is it worth it? For most people, yes. You're getting flagship-level hardware at a mid-range price. The trade-off is that you have to spend some time cleaning up the software. It's not ideal, but it's not a dealbreaker either.

What about the user experience? It's frustrating, especially if you're coming from a cleaner Android experience like Google Pixel or Motorola. But once you've cleaned it up, the phone feels like a premium device.

My Honest Rating

Software experience score: 6/10 out of the box. 8.5/10 after cleanup.

Ad annoyance score: High out of the box. Low after following these steps.

Bloatware level: Significant out of the box. Minimal after cleanup.

Value proposition: Still a solid 8.5/10. The cleanup takes about 30 minutes, and then you have an incredible device.

❓ Your Burning Questions, Answered

Why does my new phone have so many apps I don't want?

Because Xiaomi and Poco get paid to pre-install them. It's a revenue model that allows them to sell the phone at a lower price. The apps are essentially subsidizing the cost of your phone.

Can I uninstall all the pre-installed apps?

Most of them, yes. Some system apps can't be uninstalled but can be disabled. A few essential system apps can't be removed at all. Follow the steps above to clean up as much as possible.

Will disabling MSA break my phone?

No. MSA stands for MIUI System Ads. Disabling it just stops the ads from appearing. It doesn't affect the functionality of your phone in any way.

Why do ads keep coming back after I turn them off?

Sometimes system updates re-enable certain settings. Check MSA and the individual app settings after each major update to make sure they're still disabled.

Should I just install a custom ROM instead?

If you're comfortable with the risk and the process, a custom ROM like Pixel Experience or LineageOS can give you a completely clean Android experience. But this is advanced and voids your warranty. For most people, the cleanup steps above are sufficient.

Does the standard Poco X8 Pro have the same bloatware issues?

Yes. Both the Poco X8 Pro and the Poco X8 Pro Max have similar bloatware and ad issues. The cleanup steps work for both models.

Will the Poco X9 Pro Max have less bloatware?

There's no official information yet. Xiaomi and Poco have been slowly reducing the number of pre-installed apps in recent years, but ads are likely to remain a revenue source. For now, we work with what we've got.

📌 What I Want You to Remember

Look, I get it. You bought a phone that was supposed to be premium, and it came with a bunch of junk. It's frustrating to feel like you've paid for a phone that's half-filled with stuff you don't want.

But here's the thing: the Poco X8 Pro Max is still a great phone. The hardware is incredible, and the software can be cleaned up. It takes about 30 minutes of work, and then you have a device that feels premium and clean.

My advice:

  • Follow: The steps above. They work. I've done them myself.
  • Patience: Be patient. There are a lot of settings to toggle, but it's worth it.
  • Caution: Don't delete essential system apps. When in doubt, disable instead of uninstall.
  • Focus: Remember why you bought this phone. It's about the battery, the display, and the performance. The software can be fixed.

If this article helped you clean up your phone – or even just validated your frustration – please bookmark it and share it with anyone you know who owns a Poco X8 Pro Max. The more of us who know how to clean up this phone, the better the experience becomes for everyone.

You've got this. Your phone is going to feel like yours in no time.

Post a Comment