Fix Lava Shark 2 Slow Charging | 18W Speed Reality Check

Table of Contents

I’ll never forget the day I bought a proper 18W charger for my Lava Shark 2, convinced I’d finally cracked the code to fast charging. I plugged it in at 8% battery, set a timer, and went about my business. Forty-five minutes later, I checked my phone, expecting a glorious 50% or more. Twenty-three percent. Twenty-three percent in nearly an hour. I stared at the screen, then at the charger, then back at the screen. My phone wasn’t broken. Lava had just built a phone that charges like it’s 2018.

Fix Lava Shark 2 Slow Charging | 18W Speed Reality Check

If you’re reading this because your Shark 2 takes forever to charge — even with a “fast” charger — take a breath. I’ve been exactly where you are, staring at that painfully slow percentage tick up and wondering if you got a lemon. The good news? Your phone isn’t defective. The bad news? 18W charging in 2026 is simply not fast enough for a 5,000mAh or 6,000mAh battery, especially when competitors are offering 33W, 45W, or even 67W. Stick with me for the next 10 minutes, and I’ll walk you through why this happens and what you can actually do about it.

The Three Moves That Saved My Charging Sanity

  • 🔹 Accept the Reality of 18W: This is the hardest pill to swallow. 18W charging on a 5,000mAh battery is just slow by 2026 standards. It takes about 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours for a full charge with the right adapter. That’s not a defect — it’s a deliberate trade-off Lava made to keep the price down.
  • 🔹 Stop Charging to 100%: I stopped obsessing over full charges. Topping up from 20% to 80% takes about an hour with an 18W charger, which is manageable. Charging that last 20% takes disproportionately longer because the phone slows down the charge rate to protect the battery.
  • 🔹 Charge Overnight and Don’t Think About It: This sounds defeatist, but it’s the most practical solution. The Shark 2’s massive battery means you can easily get through a full day, so just plug it in before bed and wake up to a full phone. No stress, zero waiting.

How I Discovered “Fast Charging” Was a Relative Term

Let me take you back to my moment of realization. I’d been using my Shark 2 for about a week, loving the 120Hz display and the incredible battery life. Then came a day when I needed a quick top-up before heading out. I plugged in my new 18W charger, assuming I’d get a decent boost in 30 minutes. I came back to find the battery had barely moved. I was furious.

I spent that evening down a rabbit hole of reviews and forums. That’s when I found the truth. One reviewer noted that even with an 18W charger, the phone “hits 50 percent in about 45 minutes” — but that’s with the 5,000mAh battery. The 5G version packs a 6,000mAh battery, which takes even longer. Another review put it bluntly: “Charging isn’t particularly fast by today’s standards”.

The 91Mobiles review listed “Slow charging speeds” as one of the phone’s main cons. Moneycontrol noted that “18W fast charging is not the fastest in the market, but it charges the large battery to a usable level in around an hour and a quarter”. That’s the key phrase: “usable level,” not “full charge.”

The math is brutal. A 6,000mAh battery with 18W charging takes roughly 2 hours to go from 0 to 100%. Compare that to competitors offering 33W charging on similar-sized batteries, and the gap becomes painfully obvious.

⚠️ DISCLAIMER & DATA BACKUP WARNING

STOP. Before you try anything in this guide, back up your photos, contacts, and any important files. While the solutions I’m about to share are completely safe, I need to be crystal clear: there’s no software tweak that will magically make your Shark 2 charge faster. The charging speed is a hardware limitation. I’m sharing my personal experience and practical workarounds, not a magic fix. Proceed at your own risk.

The Fixes That Actually Worked (Ranked by Practicality)

Fix #1: The 80% Rule (Zero Cost)

This is the single most practical change I made. Charging from 0 to 80% is fast; charging from 80% to 100% is painfully slow because the phone reduces the charge rate to protect the battery.

  • Stop charging to 100%: Aim for 80-90% instead.
  • Top up during the day: Instead of one long charging session, do two shorter ones.
  • Use the 20-80 rule: Keep your battery between 20% and 80% for daily use. This not only saves time but also extends your battery’s lifespan.

I started doing this, and my charging anxiety disappeared. A 20-minute top-up gave me enough juice for hours of use.

Fix #2: The Overnight Charging Strategy (Zero Cost)

This sounds like giving up, but it’s actually the smartest move for a phone with this kind of battery life.

  • Plug it in before bed: The Shark 2’s battery is so large that you’ll easily get through a full day, so overnight charging is perfectly fine.
  • Use a smart plug: To cut power after a few hours if you’re worried about overcharging (though modern phones handle this automatically).
  • Wake up to a full phone: And never think about charging during the day.

I switched to overnight charging and never looked back. The phone lasts all day, and I never have to stress about finding a charger.

Fix #3: The Airplane Mode Hack (Zero Cost)

This one’s simple but effective. When you’re in a hurry, turn on Airplane Mode while charging.

  • Swipe down and enable Airplane Mode: Before plugging in.
  • Your phone will charge faster: Because it’s not using power for cellular, Wi-Fi, or background sync.
  • Turn it off when you’re done: You’ll have gained a few extra percentage points in the same time.

I tested this side-by-side. Charging with Airplane Mode on was about 15-20% faster than charging with everything running in the background.

Fix #4: The “Don’t Use It While Charging” Rule (Zero Cost)

This one’s obvious but worth stating. Using your phone while it’s charging slows down the process significantly.

  • Put the phone down and walk away: The more you use it, the slower it charges.
  • Close background apps: Before plugging in.
  • Turn off the display: The screen is one of the biggest power drains.

I started charging my phone during meetings, while cooking, or during my commute, and I stopped obsessing over the percentage.

When All Else Fails: The Real Cost of Options

Let’s say you’ve tried everything above and you’re still not satisfied. Here’s what your options actually cost:

Option Estimated Cost (USD) What You Actually Get
18W USB-PD Charger (if you don’t have one) $10 – $20 The fastest charging the Shark 2 supports
Power Bank with 18W PD Output $15 – $30 Fast charging on the go
Car Charger with 18W PD $10 – $25 Fast charging in your vehicle
Sell the Phone and Buy Something with 33W+ Varies Significantly faster charging, but you’ll lose money
Accept the Limitation $0 Peace of mind, and you keep a great phone

My honest take: Don’t sell the phone over this. The Shark 2’s battery life is genuinely excellent — you’ll get through a full day easily. The 18W charging is a trade-off for that massive battery and the sub-$150 price tag. Accept it, charge overnight, and move on with your life.

Symptom Checker: Match Your Problem to the Right Fix

What You’re Experiencing What’s Probably Causing It Try This First
Phone takes 2+ hours to charge fully 18W charging on a 5,000-6,000mAh battery Fix #1 (80% Rule) + Fix #2 (Overnight Charging)
Phone charges fast to 80% then slows down Battery protection algorithm kicks in Fix #1 (Stop at 80%)
Phone charges slower than expected even with 18W You might be using it while charging Fix #4 (Don’t Use It While Charging)
Phone takes forever when you’re in a hurry You’re trying to charge from 0 to 100% Fix #1 (80% Rule) + Fix #3 (Airplane Mode)
Battery drains faster than it charges You’re using heavy apps while charging Fix #4 (Don’t Use It While Charging)

The Habits That Saved My Charging Routine

After dealing with this frustration, here are the habits I adopted that made charging a non-issue:

  • I charge overnight: And never think about it during the day. The battery is so big that I never need a midday top-up.
  • I stopped obsessing over 100%: 80% is more than enough for a full day of use, and it charges much faster.
  • I keep an 18W charger at home and another at work: This way, I always have access to the fastest charging the phone supports.
  • I use Airplane Mode when I’m in a real hurry: It’s a small boost, but every percentage point counts.

Why This Happens (And Why Lava Made This Choice)

Let’s be brutally honest. The Lava Shark 2 4G costs about $84 USD (₹6,999), and the 5G version costs about $144 USD (₹11,999). At those prices, something has to give.

Lava chose to prioritize three things: the 120Hz display, the massive battery (5,000mAh on the 4G version, 6,000mAh on the 5G version), and the clean Android experience with zero bloatware. Charging speed is where the compromise lives.

The 18W charging standard is, by 2026 standards, entry-level. Competitors in the same price range offer 33W, 45W, or even higher. But those phones often compromise on battery life, software cleanliness, or display quality. Lava made a deliberate choice: endurance over speed.

My honest durability rating for this “problem”: 1/10. The phone itself is built well — the battery is excellent, the display is smooth, and the software is clean. The “problem” isn’t a defect; it’s a deliberate trade-off that’s easily managed with a change in charging habits.

Difficulty of “fixing” this problem: 1/10. There’s no fix because it’s not broken. The workarounds are all behavioral — charge overnight, stop at 80%, use Airplane Mode. None of them cost money, and all of them work.

Your Burning Questions, Answered (So You Can Stop Panicking)

Q: Is my Lava Shark 2 charger defective?

A: Almost certainly not. If your phone takes 1.5-2 hours to charge with an 18W adapter, that’s normal for a 5,000-6,000mAh battery. The phone supports 18W charging, but that’s simply not fast by 2026 standards.

Q: Why does my phone charge so slowly compared to other phones?

A: Because 18W is a low charging speed for a battery this size. Competitors offer 33W, 45W, or even higher charging speeds. Lava chose to prioritize battery capacity and price over charging speed.

Q: Will using a higher-wattage charger (like 33W or 65W) make my phone charge faster?

A: No. The phone’s charging circuitry is limited to 18W. A higher-wattage charger will simply deliver 18W to the phone — it won’t charge any faster.

Q: How long does it take to charge the Shark 2 with an 18W charger?

A: About 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours for a full charge on the 5,000mAh battery. The 6,000mAh battery in the 5G version takes slightly longer.

Q: Should I return the phone and buy something else?

A: That depends on your priorities. If fast charging is your #1 concern, yes — look for a phone with 33W or higher charging. If you care more about battery life, display quality, and clean software, the Shark 2 is still an incredible value. I kept mine and never looked back.

Q: Does the Shark 2 support wireless charging?

A: No. The Shark 2 does not support wireless charging.

Q: Will charging overnight damage the battery?

A: No. Modern phones, including the Shark 2, have built-in battery protection that stops charging once the battery reaches 100%. Charging overnight is perfectly safe.

Two Daily Habits That Will Save Your Charging Sanity

  • Charge overnight and never think about it during the day: The Shark 2’s battery is so large that you’ll easily get through a full day. Plug it in before bed, wake up to a full phone, and forget about charging until the next night.
  • Stop at 80% when you’re in a hurry: That last 20% takes disproportionately longer to charge. Topping up from 20% to 80% takes about an hour, which is perfectly manageable.

If this guide helped you make peace with your Shark 2’s charging speed, do me a favor: bookmark it, share it with anyone else who’s freaking out about their charger, and drop a comment below if you found a tip I missed. We’re all in this budget-phone boat together.

Post a Comment