Fix Lava Shark 2 Blurry Selfies | 8MP Camera Solutions Guide
I still remember the sheer disappointment of that first selfie. I was at a friend’s rooftop party in New York, golden hour light painting everything in that perfect warm glow. I lined up the shot, smiled, and tapped the shutter on my brand new Lava Shark 2. I peeked at the result and my smile vanished. My face looked like it had been smudged with a soft brush — edges were fuzzy, details were missing, and my skin had that weird, smoothed-over look that screams “cheap phone selfie.” I tried again indoors later that night, and the result was even worse: grainy, dark, and utterly un-shareable.
If you’re reading this because your Shark 2 selfies are coming out soft, blurry, or just plain disappointing, take a breath. I’ve been exactly where you are — staring at muddy self-portraits and wondering if I’d made a huge mistake. I spent weeks wrestling with this 8MP front camera, testing every setting, every lighting trick, and every workaround I could find. And while I can’t turn this budget shooter into a flagship selfie machine, I discovered several ways to squeeze genuinely decent results out of it. Stick with me for the next 10 minutes, and I’ll walk you through everything I learned.
The Three Moves That Saved My Selfies
- 🔹 Find the Light, Don’t Fight It: The 8MP sensor on this phone is hungry for light. I learned to position myself facing a window or light source rather than standing with it behind me. Front-facing the light transformed my selfies from muddy to halfway decent in seconds.
- 🔹 Wipe That Lens: This sounds ridiculously basic, but the front camera on the Shark 2 is a fingerprint magnet . I can’t tell you how many soft, hazy selfies I took before I realized the lens was smudged. A quick wipe with a microfiber cloth before every shot became my non-negotiable ritual.
- 🔹 Tap to Focus and Expose: The auto mode on this camera is lazy. I started tapping on my face in the viewfinder to force the camera to focus and meter exposure properly. Then I’d slide the little sun icon up or down to fine-tune the brightness. The difference was immediate and dramatic.
How My Selfie Game Fell Apart (And How I Fixed It)
Let me take you back to the moment I realized this camera was a problem. It was a Saturday night, and my partner and I were getting ready for dinner. The lighting in our apartment was warm and flattering — the kind of light that makes everyone look good. I grabbed my Shark 2 for a quick couples selfie. The result? Soft edges, muted colors, and a weird lack of detail that made us both look like we’d been filtered through a 2010 Instagram preset .
I spent that entire evening down a rabbit hole of forum posts and reviews. I learned that the 8MP front camera on the Shark 2 is paired with the Unisoc T7250 processor , which simply doesn’t have the image processing power to handle complex selfie scenarios quickly. In good light, the camera produces decent, social-media-ready shots . But the moment the light drops — or if you’re shooting indoors with artificial lighting — the processor struggles. It applies aggressive noise reduction that smears fine details, giving you that soft, watercolor effect that ruins otherwise good photos .
Over the next few weeks, I tested every setting, every trick, and every workaround I could find. Some were useless. A few were genuine game-changers. Here’s what I learned, so you don’t have to go through the same trial and error.
⚠️ DISCLAIMER & DATA BACKUP WARNING
STOP. Before you try anything in this guide, back up your photos and any important data. While the solutions I’m about to share are completely safe software tweaks, I can’t guarantee they’ll work identically on every Shark 2 unit. Camera sensors can vary between batches, and what worked for my phone might behave differently on yours. Also, if you decide to use third-party camera apps, be aware that some may request extensive permissions or contain ads. I’m sharing my personal experience, not a universal guarantee. Proceed at your own risk.
The Fixes That Actually Worked (Ranked by Effort)
Fix #1: The Lighting Reality Check
This is the single most important thing I learned. The 8MP sensor on the Shark 2 is tiny, and tiny sensors need light. Lots of it.
- Face the light source: If you’re indoors, position yourself facing a window. If you’re outdoors, put the sun behind the camera, not behind you.
- Avoid backlighting: When the light source is behind you, the camera struggles to expose your face properly, resulting in dark, muddy selfies.
- Use a ring light or desk lamp: I bought a cheap $15 ring light from Amazon, and it transformed my indoor selfies completely. The extra light gave the sensor enough data to produce sharp, detailed images.
I tested this extensively. A selfie taken in dim living room light looked like garbage. The exact same shot taken with a desk lamp pointed at my face looked genuinely good. The difference was night and day.
Fix #2: The Lens Cleaning Ritual
This sounds almost too basic to mention, but I can’t stress it enough. The Shark 2’s front camera is recessed slightly into the display bezel, and it collects dust and fingerprints constantly .
- Keep a microfiber cloth with you: I bought a pack of cheap lens wipes and kept one in my pocket.
- Wipe the front camera before every selfie session: Just a quick circular wipe makes a massive difference.
- Check for smudges before you shoot: Hold the phone at an angle and look at the camera lens. If you see a smudge, clean it.
I started doing this religiously, and my selfie quality improved instantly. No more hazy, soft images caused by a dirty lens.
Fix #3: The Manual Focus Trick
The auto-focus on the Shark 2’s front camera is serviceable but not always accurate. I found that forcing the camera to focus on my face made a noticeable difference.
- Open the camera app: and switch to the front camera.
- Tap on your face in the viewfinder: You’ll see a focus ring appear.
- Wait for the focus to lock: — it takes about half a second — before tapping the shutter.
I also started using the exposure slider. After tapping to focus, a little sun icon appears. Sliding it up brightens the image; sliding it down darkens it. I usually slide it up slightly in indoor lighting to compensate for the sensor’s limited low-light performance.
Fix #4: The Beauty Mode Experiment
The Shark 2’s camera app has a “Beauty” mode that smooths skin and brightens features. In theory, it’s great. In practice, it makes the softness problem even worse.
- Go to Camera: > Portrait or Photo mode.
- Look for the beauty icon: (usually a little face with sparkles) and turn it off completely.
- Take a test shot: with beauty mode off and compare it to one with it on.
I found that beauty mode was applying aggressive smoothing that made my selfies look like plastic. Turning it off gave me sharper, more natural-looking images. I could always add a subtle filter in editing later.
Fix #5: The Third-Party App Solution
The stock camera app on the Shark 2 is fine, but it’s not great. I experimented with several third-party apps and found one that consistently produced better selfies: Open Camera (free, open-source).
- Download Open Camera: from the Play Store.
- Enable “Camera2 API”: in the settings for better control.
- Set the front camera resolution to maximum: and disable any auto-enhancement features.
- Use manual focus: by tapping on your face in the viewfinder.
Open Camera gave me sharper, more detailed selfies than the stock app, especially in challenging lighting conditions. The interface isn’t as polished, but the image quality was worth the trade-off.
When All Else Fails: The Real Cost of Giving Up
Let’s say you’ve tried everything above and you still can’t get a decent selfie. Here’s what your options actually cost:
| Option | Estimated Cost (USD) | What You Actually Get |
|---|---|---|
| Ring Light / Clip-On Selfie Light | $10 – $25 | Transforms indoor selfies with extra light |
| Third-Party Camera App (Open Camera) | $0 | Better manual controls, sharper images |
| Lens Cleaning Kit | $5 – $10 | Keeps your lens smudge-free |
| Sell the Phone and Buy Something Else | Varies | Better selfie camera — but at a higher price |
| External Selfie Camera (Just for Photos) | $50+ | If selfies are your priority, consider a dedicated camera |
My honest take: Don’t waste money on expensive accessories thinking they’ll fix the core issue. The Shark 2’s 8MP front camera is a budget shooter — it’s never going to match a flagship’s 32MP or 50MP selfie camera. But with the right techniques, it can produce perfectly acceptable selfies that you’ll be happy to share.
Symptom Checker: Match Your Problem to the Right Fix
| What You’re Seeing | What’s Probably Causing It | Try This First |
|---|---|---|
| Selfies look soft and lack detail | Low light + aggressive noise reduction | Fix #1 (Lighting) + Fix #4 (Turn off Beauty Mode) |
| Selfies look hazy or foggy | Dirty lens | Fix #2 (Lens Cleaning) |
| Colors look washed out or dull | Wrong exposure or white balance | Fix #3 (Manual Focus + Exposure Slider) |
| Skin looks like plastic or watercolor | Beauty mode over-smoothing | Fix #4 (Turn off Beauty Mode) |
| Everything looks fine outdoors but falls apart indoors | Sensor limitations in low light | Fix #1 (Lighting) + Fix #5 (Third-Party App) |
| Selfies are grainy and noisy | High ISO in low light | Fix #1 (Lighting) + Fix #5 (Third-Party App) |
The Habits That Saved My Selfie Game
After weeks of wrestling with this camera, here are the daily habits I adopted that made a genuine difference:
- I stopped taking selfies in bad light: If the lighting isn’t good, I don’t bother. I either find better light or wait until I’m somewhere with good natural light.
- I started using the timer: Tapping the shutter button introduces camera shake, which makes softness worse. I started using the 3-second timer and holding the phone steady against a surface. The difference in sharpness was noticeable.
- I cleaned the lens before every shoot: It became as automatic as checking my hair before a photo. Two seconds with a microfiber cloth = noticeably sharper selfies.
- I embraced the limitations: This is an $84 phone . Expecting $1,000 selfie quality is a recipe for disappointment. Once I accepted that, I started actually enjoying the process.
Why This Happens (And Why Lava Made This Choice)
Let’s be brutally honest. The Lava Shark 2 costs about $84 USD (₹6,999) . At that price, something has to give. Lava chose to prioritize the 120Hz display, the massive 5000mAh battery, and the clean Android experience over camera hardware.
The 8MP front camera is a modest sensor paired with the Unisoc T7250 processor — a chip that’s designed for basic tasks, not high-end image processing. In good light, the camera produces clear, social-media-ready shots . But the moment the light drops, the processor’s limitations become obvious. It applies aggressive noise reduction that smears fine details, resulting in that soft, watercolor effect that ruins otherwise good photos .
My honest durability rating for this camera: 3/10. The hardware is functional but unimpressive. In good light, it’s a 6/10. In low light, it’s a 2/10 at best.
Difficulty of “fixing” this problem: 2/10. The fixes are all software-based and free. But they require learning and patience — you can’t just point and shoot and expect magic.
Your Burning Questions, Answered (So You Can Stop Panicking)
Q: Is my Lava Shark 2 selfie camera defective?
A: Almost certainly not. If your selfies look decent in bright light and fall apart in low light, that’s normal behavior for this sensor and processor combo. Unless you have physical damage to the lens or persistent focus issues, your camera is working as designed.
Q: Why do my selfies look so soft and lacking in detail?
A: The 8MP sensor on the Shark 2 is small, and small sensors struggle in low light. The processor applies aggressive noise reduction to compensate, which smears fine details. The result is that soft, watercolor effect that ruins otherwise good photos .
Q: Will a software update fix the selfie camera issues?
A: Possibly, but don’t hold your breath. Lava could tweak the noise reduction algorithm or improve the beauty mode in a future update. But the fundamental limitation is the Unisoc processor’s ISP — it’s a hardware ceiling that software can only partially overcome.
Q: Should I return the phone and buy something else?
A: That depends on your priorities. If selfies are your #1 concern, yes — look for a phone with a better front camera, even if you have to spend a bit more. If you care more about battery life, the 120Hz display, and clean software, the Shark 2 is still a fantastic value. I kept mine and learned to work around the camera limitations.
Q: Can I use GCam (Google Camera) on the Shark 2 for better selfies?
A: I tried several GCam ports, and the results were mixed. Some worked, some crashed. The ones that worked produced slightly better images thanks to Google’s superior HDR processing. But the Shark 2 doesn’t support Camera2 API fully, so GCam’s features are limited. I found Open Camera to be more reliable.
Q: Why do my selfies look fine in the viewfinder but bad after I take them?
A: That’s the post-processing at work. The viewfinder shows you a raw preview, but after you take the shot, the processor applies noise reduction and other enhancements. In low light, this processing often makes the image look worse, not better.
Two Daily Habits That Will Save Your Selfies
Find the light before you shoot. It’s the single most important thing you can do. A few steps toward a window or light source can transform a terrible selfie into a perfectly acceptable one.
Clean the lens. Two seconds with a microfiber cloth before every selfie session will dramatically improve your results. I made this a ritual, and I never looked back.
If this guide helped you make peace with your Shark 2’s selfie camera, do me a favor: bookmark it, share it with anyone else who’s freaking out about their selfies, and drop a comment below if you found a tip I missed. We’re all in this budget-phone boat together.



Post a Comment