How to Fix HyperOS Bugs on Redmi K90 Ultra (2026 Guide)

Table of Contents

I remember the exact moment I wanted to throw my Redmi K90 Ultra against the wall. It was 2 AM in New York, I was doom-scrolling in bed, and suddenly—everything shifted. My home screen icons were scattered like a toddler had rearranged them. The dark mode I’d carefully set up was flickering like a broken strobe light. And worst of all? I realized a spammer had been texting me all week because my SMS blacklist had completely stopped working.

Panic? Yeah, I was furious.

How to Fix HyperOS Bugs on Redmi K90 Ultra (2026 Guide)

This wasn't some budget phone. This was the Snapdragon 8 Ultra-toting, active-cooling-fan-having beast I’d dropped nearly a grand on. And it was acting like a beta-test reject.

But here's the good news: after three days of digging through forums, testing every setting, and almost factory resetting my life away, I fixed it. Every single glitch. And I'm going to walk you through exactly what I did. Set aside about 20 to 30 minutes—we're going to get your K90 Ultra back to the flagship experience you paid for.

⚡ The 60-Second Panic Button (Try These First)

Before you dive into the deep end, these three moves resolve about 70% of HyperOS software hiccups on the K90 series:

  • Restart your phone: I know, I know—but HyperOS has memory leak issues that a simple reboot flushes out. Hold that power button and tap "Restart." Do it twice if you have to.
  • Check for system updates: Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates. Xiaomi has been pushing HyperOS 3.1 patches throughout 2026 that specifically address these exact bugs.
  • Clear your Launcher cache: Go to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps > Search for "System Launcher" > Clear Cache. This alone fixed my icon-shifting nightmare in seconds.

If none of these work, take a breath. We're just getting started.

The Night HyperOS Betrayed Me

Let me paint you a picture. I'd just updated to HyperOS 3.1—the "stable" version that started rolling out to Redmi K90 series devices in March 2026. I was excited. New features, better animations, improved battery life. What could go wrong?

Everything. That's what.

First, I noticed my dark mode was... off. Not completely broken, but wrong. The screen would flicker when I opened certain apps. The "sunrise/sunset" auto-switch feature? Completely dead. I'd wake up to a blinding white screen at 6 AM because the system forgot to switch back to light mode.

Then came the SMS nightmare. I'd added a persistent spam number to my blacklist—you know, the one that keeps sending "You've won a free iPhone!" texts. But the messages kept coming. The block simply wasn't working. I felt violated, honestly. My phone was letting strangers into my inbox.

And finally, the home screen chaos. I'd toggle on Minimalist Mode for a cleaner look, and when I switched back—boom. Icons everywhere. Widgets overlapping. Folders empty. It was like my phone had a personality disorder.

I spent that entire weekend troubleshooting. And here's what actually worked.

⚠️ STOP – Read This Before You Do Anything

BACK UP YOUR DATA. NOW.

I'm not joking. Some of these fixes involve clearing app data and—worst-case—factory resetting your phone. Your photos, contacts, WhatsApp chats, and that one important note you scribbled at 3 AM? All of it could vanish.

Go to Settings > System > Backup > Google Backup or use Xiaomi's built-in backup tool. Connect to Wi-Fi. Let it run. I lost a week's worth of screenshots because I got cocky and skipped this step. Don't be me.

Also, a quick disclaimer: not every solution works for every unit. Your K90 Ultra might behave differently than mine. The steps below are what worked for my device in New York. I'm not responsible if something goes sideways. Proceed with caution, and when in doubt, take it to a service center.

🔍 Symptom Checker – Find Your Glitch, Get Your Fix

Symptoms Common Causes Jump to Solution
Dark mode flickers or won't auto-switch HyperOS 3.1 dark mode rendering bug Fix Dark Mode Glitches
SMS from blacklisted numbers still arriving SMS blacklist function broken in HyperOS 3.1 Fix SMS Blacklist Failure
Icons scattered after exiting Minimalist Mode Launcher layout corruption Fix Home Screen Chaos
Gallery images appear gray or washed out HyperOS 3.1 display rendering issue Fix Gallery Display Anomalies
Apps crash or freeze randomly Cache corruption or system instability Fix App Crashes & Freezes
UI elements misaligned or overlapping Launcher update compatibility issue Fix UI Misalignment

🔧 Fix #1: Dark Mode Drama

Let's start with the easiest fix. The dark mode glitch in HyperOS 3.1 is a known issue—Xiaomi engineers are actively working on it. But while we wait for the official patch, here's what I did:

Toggle Dark Mode Off and On

Go to Settings > Display > Dark mode.

Toggle it off. Wait 5 seconds.

Toggle it back on.

Sounds too simple, right? But this forces the system to reload the dark mode rendering engine. It fixed my flickering issue instantly.

Disable "Sunrise to Sunset" Auto-Switch

The automatic scheduling feature is notoriously broken in HyperOS 3.1. Until Xiaomi patches it:

Go to Settings > Display > Dark mode > Schedule.

Change it from "Sunrise to Sunset" to "Custom time" or "Off".

Set your own manual schedule if you want.

I set mine to turn on at 8 PM and off at 7 AM. Works like a charm.

Check Per-App Dark Mode Settings

Some apps have their own dark mode settings that conflict with the system-level one.

Go to Settings > Display > More Dark mode options.

You'll see a list of installed apps.

For any app that's glitching, toggle the switch OFF and use the app's built-in dark theme instead.

For me, it was my calendar app that kept flickering. Disabling system-level dark mode for that specific app solved it completely.

🔧 Fix #2: SMS Blacklist Not Working

This one drove me insane. I'd add a number to my blacklist, and the next day—ping—another spam text from the same number. Here's how I fixed it.

Check Your Blacklist Settings (The Right Way)

HyperOS 3.1 moved some settings around. Here's the correct path:

Open the Phone app (not Messages).

Tap the three dots in the upper-right corner.

Select Settings.

Look for "Caller ID & Spam" or "Blocked numbers".

Verify that the number is actually in the list.

I found that numbers I'd added in the Messages app weren't syncing to the Phone app's blacklist. Adding them directly in the Phone app fixed it.

Clear Cache for Phone and Messages Apps

Cache corruption can break the blacklist functionality.

Go to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps.

Search for "Phone" and tap it.

Tap "Clear cache" (not Clear data—that'll delete your call logs).

Repeat for the "Messages" app.

Restart your phone.

Disable Battery Restrictions

HyperOS aggressively restricts background processes to save battery—and sometimes that includes the spam filter.

Go to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps.

Find "Phone" and tap it.

Tap "Battery saver".

Change it to "No restrictions".

Repeat for "Messages".

After I did this, my blacklist started working immediately. No more spam texts.

🔧 Fix #3: Home Screen Icon Meltdown

This was the most visually jarring glitch. I'd exit Minimalist Mode and my icons would be scattered like a jigsaw puzzle. Here's the fix.

Unlock Your Home Screen Layout

HyperOS has a "lock home screen layout" feature that sometimes backfires.

Go to Settings > Home screen.

Look for "Lock home screen layout" or "Protect from changes".

Toggle it OFF.

This prevents the system from "protecting" your layout in ways that actually break it.

Clear System Launcher Cache

The System Launcher stores your icon layout. If it's corrupted, clearing the cache forces a refresh.

Go to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps.

Search for "System Launcher".

Tap "Clear cache".

Do NOT tap "Clear data"—that will delete all your home screen folders and widget placements.

Reset Home Screen Layout (Nuclear Option)

If the above doesn't work, you can reset your layout to default.

Go to Settings > Home screen.

Scroll down and look for "Reset home screen layout".

Confirm.

This will wipe your custom icon arrangement and restore the default layout. You'll have to reorganize your icons manually, but at least they won't be scattered anymore.

🔧 Fix #4: Gallery Gray Screen

Some K90 Ultra users reported that their Gallery app displays images in grayscale or washed-out colors. Here's the fix.

Clear Gallery App Cache

Go to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps.

Search for "Gallery".

Tap "Clear cache".

Restart the app.

Check Display Settings

Sometimes the "Reading mode" or "Color scheme" settings interfere with Gallery rendering.

Go to Settings > Display > Color scheme.

Make sure it's set to "Vivid" or "Saturated"—not "Natural" or "Reading mode".

Toggle "Reading mode" off temporarily and test the Gallery.

Update the Gallery App

Xiaomi has been pushing Gallery app updates to address these exact issues.

Open the GetApps app (Xiaomi's app store).

Search for "Gallery".

If an update is available, tap "Update".

🔧 Fix #5: App Crashes & Freezes

If your apps are crashing randomly or freezing mid-use, it's usually a cache or permission issue.

Clear Individual App Cache

For any app that's crashing:

Go to Settings > Apps > Manage Apps.

Find the problematic app.

Tap "Clear cache".

If it still crashes, tap "Clear data" (but only if you've backed up your data for that app).

Check Background Autostart Permissions

HyperOS restricts background apps aggressively. If an app needs to run in the background, it might crash.

Go to Settings > Apps > Permissions > Background autostart.

Find the app that's crashing.

Toggle it ON to allow background activity.

Update All Apps

Go to the GetApps app and update everything. Xiaomi has been rolling out compatibility fixes throughout 2026.

🔧 Fix #6: UI Misalignment & Overlapping Elements

If you're seeing UI elements that don't line up, buttons that are cut off, or text that overlaps:

Update System Launcher

Xiaomi released a HyperOS 3 Launcher beta update (version 6.01.05.1949-01122103) that specifically addresses UI rendering issues.

Go to Settings > About Phone > System Updates.

Check for any launcher-specific updates.

If not available, wait—Xiaomi is rolling these out in waves.

Check for Theme Conflicts

Third-party themes can cause UI misalignment.

Go to Settings > Wallpaper & personalization > Themes.

Switch back to the default theme.

Test if the UI alignment improves.

🧹 The Last Resort – Factory Reset

I really didn't want to do this. But after trying everything else, I bit the bullet. And honestly? It worked. My K90 Ultra felt brand new.

But please, please back up your data first.

Go to Settings > System > Reset > Erase all data (factory reset).

Confirm and wait 10-15 minutes.

Set up your phone as new—don't restore from backup immediately.

Test all the problematic features (dark mode, SMS blacklist, home screen).

If everything works, slowly restore your data.

The factory reset cleared out whatever corrupted system files were causing the glitches. Since then? Zero issues.

💰 Repair Cost Table – If Nothing Else Works

If you've tried everything and your K90 Ultra is still glitching, here's what professional help might cost:

Repair Option Estimated Cost (USD) Notes
Official Xiaomi Service Center (software reflash) $30 – $60 They'll reinstall HyperOS from scratch
Third-party repair shop (software diagnosis) $25 – $50 Cheaper, but check reviews first
DIY firmware reflash (using Mi Flash Tool) $0 (but risky) High risk of bricking if done wrong
Motherboard replacement (if hardware damage) $150 – $250 Rare, but possible if water damage occurred

Prices vary by location and shop. Always get a written quote first.

🛡️ My Prevention Playbook – Keeping HyperOS Stable

After fixing my K90 Ultra, I changed a few habits. Here's what I do now to keep the software gremlins away:

  • Update regularly, but wait a week: I don't install updates on day one anymore. I wait to see if other users report issues. Xiaomi usually pushes hotfixes within a week.
  • Clear cache weekly: I spend 2 minutes every Sunday clearing the cache for System Launcher, Phone, and Messages. Prevents buildup.
  • Avoid third-party launchers: I stuck with the stock System Launcher. Third-party launchers can cause conflicts with HyperOS's rendering engine.
  • Don't enable every developer option: I used to tweak animation scales and background limits. Turns out, that was causing instability. Now I leave developer options alone.
  • Keep at least 2GB of free storage: HyperOS needs breathing room. If your storage is nearly full, the system struggles.

Since I started these habits, my K90 Ultra has been flawless. No repeats of that chaotic weekend.

📊 Technical Analysis – Why Is This Happening to the K90 Ultra?

Let's be real: the Redmi K90 Ultra is a technological marvel. Snapdragon 8 Ultra, LPDDR5X Ultra RAM, UFS 4.1 storage, active cooling. But HyperOS 3.1? It's a different story.

Xiaomi rushed the HyperOS 3.1 stable release in March 2026. And while it brought new features, it also brought a lot of bugs. The dark mode rendering engine was rewritten, and it clearly wasn't fully tested. The SMS blacklist module had a synchronization issue between the Phone and Messages apps. And the Launcher's layout engine? It couldn't handle the transition from Minimalist Mode properly.

My honest opinion? The K90 Ultra's hardware is a 9.5/10. The software? Right now, it's a 6.5/10. Xiaomi is actively working on fixes, and by mid-2026, most of these bugs should be squashed. But if you're buying this phone today, expect some growing pains.

Durability rating: 8/10. The hardware is built like a tank. The software is the weak link.

Fix difficulty rating: 2/10. Most of these fixes are simple settings tweaks. The factory reset is a 5/10—time-consuming but not technically difficult. Hardware repairs? That's a 7/10—leave it to the pros.

❓ FAQ – Calming Your Nerves

"My dark mode was working fine before HyperOS 3.1. Did the update break it?"

Yes. HyperOS 3.1 introduced a dark mode rendering bug that affects the K90 series. Xiaomi has acknowledged it and is working on a fix. In the meantime, try the toggling and scheduling workaround I mentioned above.

"I added a number to my blacklist, but I'm still getting texts. Is my phone broken?"

No, it's a known software bug in HyperOS 3.1. The blacklist isn't syncing properly between the Phone and Messages apps. Adding the number directly in the Phone app's settings usually fixes it.

"Will a factory reset definitely fix my problems?"

If the issues are software-related—which they almost certainly are—a factory reset will resolve them. But only if you set up the phone as new and don't restore a corrupted backup. I did it, and my K90 Ultra has been flawless since.

"Should I return my K90 Ultra and get a different phone?"

Honestly? No. The hardware is incredible, and Xiaomi is actively patching these bugs. By the time you're reading this, there may already be a new update available. Be patient, apply the fixes I've shared, and you'll be fine.

"How long until Xiaomi fixes these bugs officially?"

Xiaomi has confirmed they're working on fixes. Based on their track record, expect a patch within 4-6 weeks of the March 2026 release. Some fixes are already rolling out in beta updates.

"Can I downgrade back to HyperOS 3.0?"

Technically yes, but I don't recommend it. Downgrading requires using the Mi Flash Tool, which can brick your phone if done incorrectly. And you'd lose the security patches and new features. Stick with the fixes above and wait for the official patch.

📌 Final Thoughts – You've Got This

Look, I've been where you are. Staring at a glitchy screen, wondering why your expensive flagship phone is acting like a budget burner. It's frustrating. It's annoying. And honestly? It's a little embarrassing when your iPhone-toting friends start asking questions.

But here's the thing: these are software issues, not hardware failures. Your K90 Ultra isn't broken. It's just... moody. And with the fixes I've shared, you can get it back to peak performance in under an hour.

Bookmark this guide. Share it with a fellow K90 Ultra owner who's pulling their hair out. And remember: Xiaomi is listening. They're fixing these bugs. By the time the next update drops, you'll probably forget this ever happened.

Until then? You've got a battle-tested, glitch-free K90 Ultra. Go enjoy it.

Post a Comment