Fix Galaxy M17e Storage Full | Remove Bloatware & Free Space
I remember the exact moment I felt cheated. I was sitting on a park bench in a New York park, freshly unboxed Samsung Galaxy M17e in hand, ready to load up my music and a few offline movies for the commute. I tapped on "My Files" to check out my new 128GB of storage, and my jaw hit the floor.
Only about 105GB was actually available. The rest? Eaten alive by pre-installed apps I never asked for.
I scrolled through the app drawer and felt my eye twitch. Facebook. LinkedIn. A bunch of Microsoft apps. Some random game called "Candy Crush" that I've never played in my life. And then there was the Samsung bloatware – Galaxy Store, Samsung Free, Global Goals, AR Zone, and about a dozen other apps with names I couldn't even pronounce.
I felt like I'd bought a brand new house only to find out the previous owner had left all their junk in the closets.
I almost returned the phone right then and there. But I'm stubborn. And I'm cheap. So I decided to fight back.
If you're staring at your Galaxy M17e right now, wondering why your "128GB" phone feels more like a 64GB phone, take a breath. You're not alone. And there's a way out. Set aside about 30 minutes to work through this guide – and you'll get back a serious chunk of your storage.
Three Moves That Freed Up Gigabytes Instantly
Before we go down the rabbit hole, here are the three things that gave me the most immediate storage relief. If you're panicking because you can't install that one app you need, start here:
- Uninstall or Disable Everything You Don't Recognize: Go through your app list like a digital Marie Kondo. If it sparks no joy (and you never use it), it's gone.
- Clear the Cache of Every Single App: Those temporary files add up fast. I found over 2GB of cached data hiding in my system.
- Move Photos and Videos to the Cloud: This isn't a permanent fix for bloatware, but it frees up space so you can breathe while you work on the bigger problem.
How I Discovered My "128GB" Phone Was a Lie
Let me take you back to that park bench.
I'd been eyeing the Galaxy M17e for weeks. The price was right – around $150 for the base model with 4GB RAM and 128GB storage. The 6,000 mAh battery was a monster. And six years of OS updates? That's practically unheard of at this price point.
I was sold. I pre-ordered the moment it went live in March 2026.
The phone arrived, and I was giddy. I peeled off the plastic, powered it on, and went through the setup. Everything felt smooth. The 120Hz display was buttery. The MediaTek Dimensity 6300 chip handled basic tasks without breaking a sweat.
Then I opened the storage settings.
103GB usable. Out of 128GB.
I blinked. I refreshed. I rebooted. Same number.
I started digging. I went into the Apps section and started counting. There were at least 25 apps pre-installed that I'd never use. Some of them – like Facebook and Spotify – you can uninstall. But others? The "Disable" button was grayed out. They were locked in, taking up space I paid for.
I felt like I'd been bait-and-switched.
But instead of rage-returning the phone, I got to work. I spent the next few days learning everything I could about Samsung's bloatware problem and how to fight it. And I won.
A Word of Caution Before We Begin
Not every fix works for every phone. What saved my M17e might not be the magic bullet for yours. Every unit is slightly different, and software versions vary across regions.
I'm sharing what worked for me after days of trial and error. But I'm not responsible if you accidentally mess something up while following this guide. Tinkering with settings is usually safe, but always proceed with caution.
One golden rule: Never delete anything that sounds like a core system component. If you don't know what it is, don't touch it. Disable it first, test your phone for a few days, and only then consider more aggressive steps.
⚠️ DISCLAIMER & DATA BACKUP WARNING
STOP. Before you try anything else, back up your photos, contacts, and important files. While most of these fixes are software-based and low-risk, there's always a tiny chance something goes sideways – especially if we end up doing a factory reset. Use Google Photos, Samsung Cloud, or just plug your phone into a computer and copy everything over. Future you will thank present you.
The Storage Liberation Playbook (From Gentle to Aggressive)
I organized these fixes from the safest and simplest to the most invasive. Try them in order. I did, and I got back over 5GB of storage by the time I was done.
1. The Low-Hanging Fruit – Uninstall What You Can
This is the easiest win. Some pre-installed apps can actually be removed.
Here's what I did:
- Go to Settings > Apps: You'll see a complete list of every app on your phone, including system apps.
- Scroll through the list: Look for apps you never use – things like Facebook, Spotify, Netflix, or any games.
- Tap on the app: If the Uninstall button is active (not grayed out), tap it. Gone. Forever.
Apps I uninstalled immediately:
- Spotify
- Netflix
- Candy Crush: (or whatever random game Samsung bundled)
- Any carrier-specific apps: (if you bought from a carrier)
This freed up about 800MB right away. Not huge, but it's a start.
2. The Disable Tango – When Uninstall Isn't an Option
Here's where things get frustrating. Many pre-installed apps – especially Samsung's own – don't have an Uninstall button. The button is grayed out. You're stuck with them.
Or are you?
Here's the trick:
- Go to Settings > Apps: and tap on the app you want to get rid of.
- If Uninstall is grayed out: look for the Disable button. Tap it.
Disabling an app removes it from your app drawer, stops it from running in the background, and prevents it from updating. It doesn't free up the full storage space (the app files are still there), but it clears the app's data and cache, which can free up hundreds of megabytes.
Apps I disabled:
- Samsung Free: (I never use it)
- Global Goals
- AR Zone: (cool, but I don't use AR)
- Galaxy Store: (I get my apps from Google Play)
- Samsung Members
- Any Microsoft apps I didn't need: (LinkedIn, Office, etc.)
This cleared about 1.5GB of cached data and stopped these apps from eating my storage in the background.
3. The Cache Massacre – Free Up Space Without Deleting Anything
This one surprised me. I had no idea how much junk was sitting in my phone's cache.
Here's the quick way:
- Go to Settings > Battery and device care > Storage > Clean now: This removes temporary files from all apps at once.
I did this and instantly freed up 2.1GB. Two gigabytes. Just from cached data.
For a deeper clean:
- Go to Settings > Apps: Tap on each app individually, then tap Storage. You'll see two buttons: Clear data and Clear cache.
- Tap Clear cache: for apps you use regularly (like Chrome, YouTube, Instagram). This won't delete your login info or saved data – just temporary files.
Warning: Don't tap Clear data unless you're sure. That will wipe the app's settings and login info.
4. The ADB Nuclear Option – Remove Bloatware Without Root
This is the big one. If you're comfortable with a computer and a USB cable, you can remove bloatware that you can't uninstall or disable through the normal settings.
What is ADB? Android Debug Bridge. It's a tool that lets you communicate with your phone from your computer. And it can uninstall apps – even system apps – without rooting your phone.
Here's how I did it:
- Step 1: On your computer, download and install Minimal ADB (or the full Android SDK Platform Tools).
- Step 2: On your phone, go to Settings > About phone. Tap Software information, then tap Build number seven times to enable Developer Options.
- Step 3: Go back to Settings > Developer options. Toggle on USB debugging.
- Step 4: Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable.
- Step 5: Open a command prompt or terminal window in the folder where you installed ADB.
- Step 6: Type adb devices and confirm the connection on your phone.
- Step 7: Now you need the package names of the apps you want to remove. Type adb shell pm list packages to see everything installed.
- Step 8: To uninstall an app, type: adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 [package-name]
For example, to remove Samsung Free: adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.spage
Important: There are lists online of Samsung bloatware that you can safely remove. I used one of these lists to guide me. Don't go crazy – removing the wrong app can break your phone.
Apps I removed via ADB:
- Samsung Free: (com.samsung.android.app.spage)
- AR Zone: (com.samsung.android.arzone)
- Global Goals: (com.samsung.android.globalgoals)
- Galaxy Store: (com.sec.android.app.samsungapps) – I don't use it, but some people might want to keep it
This freed up about 1.2GB of actual storage (not just cache).
5. The Reset Button – When All Else Fails
If you've tried everything and your storage is still a mess, a factory reset might help.
Here's the logic: Sometimes, bloatware apps accumulate data over time. A reset wipes everything and gives you a clean slate.
But here's the catch: The bloatware comes back. Samsung pre-installs these apps at the factory level. A reset doesn't remove them – it just restores them to their original state.
So why do it? Because it clears out all the cached data and updates that have accumulated, which can free up space. And it gives you a fresh start to apply the fixes above more carefully.
To reset: Go to Settings > General management > Reset > Factory data reset.
Remember: Back up everything first. I can't stress this enough.
What It Costs If You Can't Fix It Yourself
Let's say you've tried everything above and your storage is still a mess. Or maybe you just don't want to deal with the hassle. Here's what you're looking at financially:
| Service Option | Estimated Cost (USD) | Notes |
|---|---|---|
| Samsung Authorized Service Center | $50 – $90 | They'll wipe and reflash the software. Might not remove bloatware, but can fix software corruption. |
| Third-Party Repair Shop (NYC) | $40 – $70 | Cheaper, but quality varies. Some shops offer "de-bloating" services. |
| Cloud Storage Subscription (1 year) | $20 – $30 | Not a fix, but a workaround – move your files to the cloud and stop worrying about local storage. |
| MicroSD Card (128GB) | $15 – $25 | The M17e supports expandable storage. This is the cheapest and safest solution. |
Prices are estimated based on typical costs in the US as of July 2026.
Diagnostic Table: Match Your Symptom to the Fix
| Symptoms | Common Causes | Jump to Solution |
|---|---|---|
| Storage shows significantly less than 128GB available | System partition and pre-installed apps take up space | Solution 1 – Uninstall what you can |
| "Storage full" error when installing apps | Cached data has accumulated over time | Solution 3 – Clear cache |
| App drawer is cluttered with apps you never use | Samsung and carriers pre-install bloatware | Solution 2 – Disable apps |
| Can't uninstall certain Samsung apps | These are system apps locked by Samsung | Solution 4 – Use ADB to remove |
| Storage is still full after trying everything | Bloatware data has accumulated; or you have too many personal files | Solution 5 – Factory reset + buy a microSD card |
My Personal Tips to Keep Your Storage Under Control
After fixing my phone, I implemented a few habits to make sure I never ran out of space again. These worked for me, and I haven't had a storage scare in over a month:
- Check your storage weekly: Go to Settings > Battery and device care > Storage and see what's taking up space. Catch problems early.
- Clear cache monthly: I do this on the first of every month. It takes two minutes and frees up a surprising amount of space.
- Use a microSD card for photos and videos: The M17e supports expandable storage. I bought a 128GB card for $20 and moved all my media there. Now my internal storage is just for apps.
- Don't install apps you don't need: This sounds obvious, but I used to download random apps "just to try them." Now I'm more intentional.
- Review your apps quarterly: Every few months, I go through my app list and delete anything I haven't used in 30 days.
My Honest Review: Why This Happens and How Durable the M17e Really Is
Let's be real: the Samsung Galaxy M17e is a budget phone. It costs around $150, and you get what you pay for.
Samsung includes bloatware for a few reasons. First, partnerships – companies like Facebook and Microsoft pay Samsung to pre-install their apps. Second, Samsung's own ecosystem – they want you to use Galaxy Store, Samsung Free, and their other services. Third, carriers often add their own apps if you buy through them.
It's annoying. But it's also standard practice in the budget phone space. Every manufacturer does it to some extent.
The M17e's hardware is solid – the MediaTek Dimensity 6300 chip handles everyday tasks well, the 6,000 mAh battery is a beast, and the 6.7-inch 120Hz display is smooth. The software is also a highlight – Samsung promises six years of OS updates, which is incredible for a $150 phone.
But the bloatware problem is real. It's the price you pay for that low price tag.
Durability rating: 7/10. The phone itself is well-built for the price. But the software experience is cluttered out of the box, which can make the phone feel slower and less responsive than it actually is.
Difficulty of fixing this problem: 3/10. Most of the fixes are straightforward – uninstalling, disabling, and clearing cache are easy. The ADB method is more advanced, but it's well-documented and safe if you follow instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions (To Calm Your Nerves)
"Is my Galaxy M17e defective if it has less than 128GB of storage?"
No. This is normal. The operating system, system files, and pre-installed apps take up a chunk of the storage. You'll never get the full 128GB. Expect around 100-105GB usable.
"Can I permanently delete Samsung bloatware without rooting?"
Yes, using the ADB method I described above. It removes the app for your user profile without rooting the phone. The app is still technically on the system partition, but it's invisible and doesn't take up user-accessible storage.
"Will disabling an app break my phone?"
Usually not. Disabling an app just hides it and stops it from running. If you disable something critical (like the keyboard or the launcher), your phone might act weird. But Samsung prevents you from disabling core system apps. Stick to disabling apps you recognize as bloatware.
"What if I accidentally uninstall something important?"
If you uninstall via ADB and remove something critical, you might need to factory reset to get it back. That's why I recommend disabling first – it's reversible.
"Should I just buy a microSD card instead?"
Yes, absolutely. The M17e supports expandable storage. A 128GB microSD card costs about $15-25 and solves the storage problem without any software tinkering. This is the cheapest and safest solution.
"Will a factory reset remove the bloatware?"
No. The bloatware comes pre-installed at the factory level. A reset just restores it. But it does clear out cached data and updates, which can free up space.
Two Daily Habits That'll Keep Your Storage Free
- Move photos and videos to the cloud or microSD card immediately: Don't let them sit on your internal storage. I set up Google Photos to automatically back up and then "free up space" on my device. It's a game-changer.
- Be ruthless about app installations: Before you download an app, ask yourself: "Do I actually need this?" If the answer is "maybe," skip it. You can always download it later.
If this guide saved your Galaxy M17e from becoming a cluttered mess, do me a favor – bookmark it or share it with someone who might be going through the same struggle. We've all been there, staring at a "storage full" notification and wondering where all our space went. And honestly? No one should have to suffer through that alone.



Post a Comment