Fix Blackview Rock 5 Slow 33W Charging Issues (2026 Guide)

Table of Contents

I'll never forget the first time I tried to charge my Blackview Rock 5 from empty.

I plugged it in at 8 PM, expecting the usual hour or so I was used to with my previous phones. By 10 PM, I checked the battery. 65%. By midnight, 85%. I woke up at 2 AM to find it finally hit 100%.

I sat there in the dark, staring at this 3cm thick brick, wondering if my charger was defective.

Fix Blackview Rock 5 Slow 33W Charging Issues (2026 Guide)

If you're reading this, you know the pain. The 20,000mAh battery is incredible for longevity — but the 33W charging speed means you'll leave your phone plugged in for hours. In 2026, when phones are pushing 120W, 200W, even 240W charging, 33W feels like we've gone back in time.

Here's the good news: I spent weeks obsessing over charging speed, testing every cable, every charger, every trick I could find. While I can't magically make 33W faster than it is, I can help you optimize charging, understand why it's so slow, and decide whether you can live with it.

Let's dive in.

What You Need to Do Right Now (Before You Waste Another Hour)

  • Use the included charger and cable: Not all USB-C cables support 33W charging. The included one does. I learned this the hard way.
  • Charge from 20% to 80%: The last 20% takes forever. Stop obsessing over 100%. Top up when you can.
  • Turn off the phone while charging: This speeds things up significantly. No background apps draining power.
  • Check your cable: A damaged or low-quality cable can drop charging speed to 10W or less.

The Night I Realized 33W Wasn't Going to Cut It

I was heading out for a weekend camping trip in the Catskills. My Rock 5 was at 15%. I had two hours before I needed to leave. Plenty of time, right?

I plugged it in at 4 PM. At 5 PM, I checked. 58%. At 5:30 PM, 72%. By 6 PM, when I was supposed to leave, the phone was at 85%.

I packed my phone at 85% and spent the entire drive worrying about whether it would last the weekend.

It did. The battery is insane. But the charging anxiety? That was new.

I realized that with a 20,000mAh battery, you can't just "top up" before you go out. You need to plan your charging sessions like you're planning a road trip.

I spent the next few weeks testing every charging combination I could think of. Here's what I found.

⚠️ DISCLAIMER — Read This Before You Start Tinkering

STOP. RIGHT. NOW.

I'm about to share what worked for me. But here's the thing: the Rock 5 charges at 33W. That's a hardware limitation. No amount of tweaking can make it charge faster than that.

WARNING: Using non-certified chargers or cables can damage your battery or create a fire hazard. Only use Blackview-approved or quality third-party chargers. I am not responsible for damaged batteries, melted cables, or charging fires. Proceed at your own risk.

The Fixes: From Least Risky to Most Effective

"Solution" 1: Use the Included Charger and Cable (Zero Risk)

This is the most important tip and the one most people ignore.

  • What I did: I stopped using my old chargers and cables. I used only the 33W charger and cable that came in the box.
  • The result: Charging speed improved from about 10W to the full 33W. The difference was night and day.
  • Why it works: Not all USB-C cables are created equal. Some don't support the power delivery (PD) protocol required for 33W charging. The included cable is certified for 33W.
  • What to check: Look at the charger brick. It should say "33W" or "11V/3A" on it. If it doesn't, you're not getting full speed.

"Solution" 2: Charge from 20% to 80% (Zero Risk)

This is the secret to faster charging.

  • What I did: I stopped charging to 100% unless I absolutely needed it. I started charging from 20% to 80%.
  • The result: Charging time dropped from about 4.5 hours (0-100%) to about 2.5 hours (20-80%).
  • Why it works: Lithium-ion batteries charge fastest when they're between 20% and 80%. The last 20% (80-100%) is slow by design to protect the battery.
  • Pro tip: Set a charging routine. Plug in at 20%, unplug at 80%. It's better for battery health too.

"Solution" 3: Turn Off the Phone While Charging (Low Risk)

This makes a noticeable difference.

  • What I did: I turned off the Rock 5 while charging whenever possible.
  • The result: Charging speed increased by about 15-20%. The phone charged faster because it wasn't using power for background tasks.
  • Why it works: When the phone is on, it's still consuming power. Even in standby, there's background activity. Turning it off eliminates that drain.
  • When to use this: Overnight charging, or when you're not expecting calls.

"Solution" 4: Enable Airplane Mode While Charging (Minimal Risk)

If you can't turn the phone off, this is the next best thing.

  • What I did: I enabled Airplane Mode before plugging in.
  • The result: Charging speed increased by about 10%. The phone wasn't constantly searching for signal or syncing data.
  • Why it works: Cellular radios consume power. Disabling them reduces the drain, leaving more power for charging.

"Solution" 5: Use a Higher-Quality USB-C Cable (Low Risk)

Not all cables are equal.

  • What I did: I bought a high-quality USB-C to USB-C cable rated for 60W or higher. I made sure it supported Power Delivery (PD) 3.0.
  • The result: More consistent charging speeds. The Rock 5 maintained 33W for longer without dropping down.
  • Why it works: Cheap cables have higher resistance, which reduces power delivery. A quality cable ensures the full 33W reaches your phone.
  • What to look for: USB-IF certified cables. They're tested for safety and performance.

"Solution" 6: Check for Fast Charging Indicators (Zero Risk)

Make sure the phone is actually fast charging.

  • What I did: I looked at the lock screen when I plugged in. It showed "Fast Charging" or "Quick Charging."
  • The result: I confirmed the phone was charging at 33W.
  • What to check: If it doesn't say "Fast Charging," something is wrong. Try a different cable or charger. If it still doesn't show, your phone might be defective.

"Solution" 7: Avoid Charging While Using the Phone (Low Risk)

Using the phone while charging slows everything down.

  • What I did: I stopped using the Rock 5 while it was charging. No gaming, no video streaming, no navigation.
  • The result: Charging times improved because the phone wasn't consuming power at the same time.
  • Why it works: When you're using the phone, it's drawing power. The charger has to split its output between running the phone and charging the battery.

"Solution" 8: Buy a More Powerful Charger (It Won't Help, But...)

  • What I tried: I tested a 65W GaN charger.
  • The result: The Rock 5 still only drew 33W. The phone limits the charge speed. A more powerful charger doesn't help.
  • Why it doesn't work: The phone's charging circuit regulates the power input. It's locked at 33W. A 200W charger won't charge faster.

"Solution" 9: Accept the Limitations (The Only Real Solution)

Here's the honest truth: 33W is 33W. It's going to take time.

  • What I did: I stopped obsessing. I accepted that the Rock 5 takes 4-5 hours to fully charge. I started charging it overnight, like a laptop.
  • The result: I'm less stressed. I plan ahead. I use the phone's massive battery to my advantage.
  • The reality: The 20,000mAh battery is huge. Charging it at 33W is physically limited. It's basic physics — more battery capacity takes more time to fill.

💰 What You'd Pay to "Fix" This (You Can't)

You can't make the Rock 5 charge faster than 33W. Your options are workarounds or workarounds.

"Solution" Estimated Cost (USD) Notes
Buy a quality USB-C cable (60W+ PD) $15 – $25 Ensures consistent 33W charging.
Buy a 33W charger (if you lost yours) $20 – $35 Use only certified chargers.
Buy a GaN charger (won't help but nice) $30 – $60 Won't charge faster, but can charge multiple devices.
Buy a charging routine app $0 – $5 Reminds you when to charge to optimize battery health.
Just accept 33W and plan ahead $0 The most practical option.

Prices are estimates based on New York rates as of July 2026. Actual costs may vary.

📊 Diagnostic Table — What's Your Charging Problem?

Symptom Common Cause Jump to Solution
Phone takes 4+ hours to charge 20,000mAh battery + 33W charging Solution 1 (Use included charger) + Solution 9 (Accept it)
Phone doesn't say "Fast Charging" Using wrong cable or charger Solution 1 (Use included charger) + Solution 5 (Better cable)
Charging speed seems slow even with 33W Cable damaged, or phone is on Solution 1 (Included charger) + Solution 3 (Turn off)
Battery drains faster than it charges Using phone while charging Solution 7 (Don't use while charging)
Phone overheats while charging Fast charging generates heat Solution 7 (Don't use while charging) + Solution 6 (Check for fast charging)
Need faster charging for emergencies 33W is the limit Solution 2 (Charge 20-80%) + Solution 3 (Turn off)

My Prevention Tips — What I Do Now to Manage Charging

After months of frustration, I've developed a charging routine that works for me:

  • Charge overnight: The phone takes 4-5 hours to fully charge. Overnight is the only practical option.
  • Top up during the day: If I'm down to 40-50%, I plug in for 30 minutes. It adds enough juice to get through the day.
  • Charge from 20-80% for speed: The fastest charging is in this range. I use it when I'm in a hurry.
  • Use the included cable and charger: Nothing else gives me consistent 33W charging.
  • Turn off the phone for overnight charging: No distractions, faster charging.
  • Check the charging status: I always confirm "Fast Charging" shows on the lock screen.

💭 My Honest Review: Why the Rock 5 Charges So Slowly in 2026

Let's talk about the elephant in the room.

33W charging with a 20,000mAh battery is a recipe for long charge times.

Here's the math: 20,000mAh is about 74Wh at 3.7V. 33W charging means it takes roughly 74Wh / 33W = 2.24 hours, assuming 100% efficiency. In reality, efficiency is around 80-85%, so you're looking at 2.6-2.8 hours for the math to work out. But because of battery chemistry and charging curves, it's actually more like 4-5 hours.

What Blackview got right: The battery life is incredible. 20,000mAh means 5-7 days of normal use. The phone supports 33W fast charging, which is decent for a rugged phone.

What Blackview got wrong: In 2026, 33W is slow. Budget phones are pushing 45-67W. Flagships are at 100-240W. The Rock 5's charging speed is holding back an otherwise great device.

Why this happens: It's a trade-off. Adding faster charging would have required more advanced charging circuitry, more expensive batteries, and more heat management. Blackview kept costs down and prioritized battery capacity over charging speed.

My durability rating for the Blackview Rock 5: 9/10. The battery is massive and long-lasting. But the charging speed is a clear weak point.

Difficulty rating for "fixing" this problem: 10/10. You can't fix it. It's a hardware limitation.

❓ FAQ — Calming Your Nerves

Q: Is my Blackview Rock 5 defective because it charges so slowly?

A: No. 33W charging with a 20,000mAh battery means 4-5 hours charging times. This is normal.

Q: Will a 100W charger charge my Rock 5 faster?

A: No. The phone limits charging to 33W. A more powerful charger won't help.

Q: Why does my phone charge faster when it's turned off?

A: Because the phone isn't using power for background tasks. All the power goes to the battery.

Q: Is it safe to charge the Rock 5 overnight?

A: Yes. The phone has overcharge protection. It stops charging at 100%. That said, I recommend charging to 80% for better battery health.

Q: How long does it take to fully charge the Rock 5?

A: From 0-100%, about 4.5 hours. From 20-80%, about 2.5 hours.

Q: Will future software updates improve charging speed?

A: Possibly, but don't expect miracles. Charging speed is hardware-limited. Software can optimize charging curves, but it can't increase the maximum wattage.

Q: Should I return my Blackview Rock 5 because of the charging speed?

A: That depends on your needs. If you need to charge quickly on the go, this isn't the phone for you. If you can charge overnight or plan ahead, the battery life makes up for it.

📌 Final Thoughts — Save This for Later

Look, I get it. 4-5 hours to charge a phone feels insane in 2026. When other phones are charging in 20-30 minutes, the Rock 5 feels like it's from a different era.

But here's the thing: those 20-30 minute phones don't have 20,000mAh batteries. They don't last 5-7 days. They don't charge your other devices.

The Rock 5 is a specialized device. It's a portable power bank with a phone attached. The charging speed is a trade-off for the massive battery capacity.

My advice: Charge overnight. Plan ahead. Use the 20-80% trick when you're in a hurry. And most importantly, appreciate the battery life. You won't find another phone that lasts this long.

One last thing: If this guide helped you, bookmark it. Share it with someone who's struggling with the same issues. There's nothing worse than feeling like you're the only one dealing with slow charging.

Your Rock 5 charges slowly — but with these tips, it's manageable.

Post a Comment