iPhone 17e No UWB Chip Fix – AirTag Workarounds That Work
I was in my New York apartment, frantically searching for my keys. I knew I had an AirTag attached to them. On my previous iPhone, I'd just open the Find My app and follow the arrow straight to them.
I opened Find My on my new iPhone 17e. No arrow. Just a dot on a map showing my keys were "nearby." I spent 15 minutes wandering around my apartment, trying to get the Bluetooth signal to strengthen. I eventually found them under a pile of mail—but it took way longer than it should have.
That's when I realized: the iPhone 17e doesn't have a UWB chip.
Apple's own support page confirms it: the iPhone 17e is explicitly excluded from the list of devices with the second-generation Ultra Wideband chip . Every other iPhone 15 model and later has it. The iPhone 17e? Nope. Same with the iPhone 16e .
I felt like I'd bought a car without power steering. Sure, it still drives, but the experience is noticeably worse. And the worst part? I didn't even realize I was missing it until I needed it.
Here's the thing: the lack of UWB is a deliberate cost-cutting measure by Apple. It's one of the ways they hit the $599 price point . But it's also a feature that's deeply integrated into the Apple ecosystem—AirTag precision finding, improved AirDrop, and spatial awareness features all rely on it .
Estimated read time: 8 minutes. Stick with me, and I'll show you how I adapted to life without UWB—and whether it's a dealbreaker.
🚨 Your Quick Rescue Guide: What Actually Helps Without UWB
If you're already frustrated by the lack of precision finding, here's what you need to do right now:
- Use the "Play Sound" feature for AirTags: It's not as good as Precision Finding, but it'll help you locate items within Bluetooth range . Open Find My, tap your AirTag, and select "Play Sound."
- Rely on Bluetooth signal strength: Walk around your space and watch the "Nearby" indicator in Find My. The signal gets stronger as you get closer to the item.
- Accept that some features won't work: Precision Finding, directional arrows, and UWB-based AirDrop improvements are gone. You can't add them back .
- Consider whether UWB matters to you: If you don't use AirTags daily, you might not miss it. But if you rely on precision finding, the 17e might not be the right phone.
The Exact Moment I Realized UWB Was Missing
I was at a friend's apartment, helping him find his keys. He opened Find My on his iPhone 17, and an arrow appeared on his screen, pointing directly to the living room. He walked straight over, picked up his keys from the couch, and grinned at me.
I tried the same on my iPhone 17e. No arrow. Just a vague "Nearby" indicator. I spent the next few minutes walking in circles, trying to get the signal to strengthen, while my friend looked at me with pity.
Later that night, I looked up the specs. Apple's support page was brutally clear: the iPhone 17e and 16e are the only current iPhones without the UWB chip . Notebookcheck's review confirmed it: the iPhone 17e "lacks a UWB chip, and Wi-Fi 7 support, leaving it far behind the iPhone 17 in capabilities" .
I was disappointed. I'd just spent $599 on a phone that was missing a feature I'd taken for granted on my previous iPhone. It felt like a step backward.
But then I started thinking: how often do I actually use Precision Finding? It's a great feature when I need it, but I don't need it every day. And the phone itself is otherwise excellent—A19 chip, 256GB storage, MagSafe support, great battery life . Maybe the lack of UWB wasn't a dealbreaker.
Solution 1: Master the "Play Sound" Feature (Zero Risk, Effective)
This is the most effective workaround for AirTag users.
What you need: Your iPhone 17e and an AirTag.
Steps:
- Open the Find My app: on your iPhone 17e.
- Tap the "Items" tab: at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on your AirTag: that you're trying to find.
- Tap "Play Sound": The AirTag will start chirping.
- Walk around the room and listen for the sound: The closer you get, the louder it should be.
- If the sound is too faint, try moving around the room: —walls and furniture can muffle the sound.
Why this works: The iPhone 17e still supports Bluetooth connectivity to AirTags . While you can't get the directional arrows from UWB, you can still trigger the sound chip in the AirTag and follow the audio to find your item.
My take: The "Play Sound" feature is genuinely useful. It's not as convenient as Precision Finding, but it gets the job done. I've used it multiple times to find my keys in my apartment, and it's saved me a lot of frustration.
Solution 2: Use the "Nearby" Indicator (Zero Risk, Some Learning Curve)
This is about learning to interpret the Bluetooth signal strength.
What you need: Your iPhone 17e and patience.
Steps:
- Open the Find My app: and tap on your AirTag.
- Look at the text below the item's name: It will say "Nearby," "With You," or "No Location."
- If it says "Nearby," you're within Bluetooth range: (about 100 feet).
- Walk around your space and watch the screen: The "Nearby" indicator will usually appear when you're close to the item.
- Keep walking until you find the item: The signal strength won't give you an arrow, but you'll eventually get close enough to hear the sound or visually spot it.
Why this works: The iPhone 17e's Bluetooth radio can still detect AirTags . The "Nearby" indicator means your phone is receiving a Bluetooth signal from the AirTag, which means you're in the right general area.
My take: This takes some practice. You'll need to do a bit of manual searching, but the "Nearby" indicator will tell you when you're in the right ballpark.
Solution 3: Accept the Limitations and Move On (Reframe It)
This is the most important "fix" of all.
What you need: A shift in perspective.
Steps:
- Acknowledge that UWB is gone: You can't add it back. No software update will enable it .
- Ask yourself: How often do I actually use Precision Finding? If it's daily, the 17e might not be the right phone for you.
- Focus on what you gained: For $599, you got an A19 chip, 256GB storage, MagSafe support, and a C1X modem that doubles wireless performance .
- Compare the price: The iPhone 17 starts at $799. Is UWB worth $200 to you?
Why this works: The iPhone 17e is a value proposition. Apple made deliberate trade-offs to hit the $599 price point . The lack of UWB is one of them.
What the reviews say: A Reddit user noted that "missing out on the UWB chip is an underrated L" and questioned why Apple doesn't want more users to buy their first-party accessories . Another user described it as "weird that using an iPhone 17e gets you a worse AirTag experience" .
My take: The lack of UWB is frustrating, but it's not a dealbreaker for most users. I've adapted by using the "Play Sound" feature, and I've learned to live without the arrow. The phone itself is excellent, and the savings made it worth it.
Solution 4: Consider Third-Party Trackers (Low Risk)
If you really need precision tracking and the iPhone 17e isn't cutting it, consider third-party options.
What you need: A third-party Bluetooth tracker.
Steps:
- Look for Bluetooth trackers: that use wider network coverage or better software.
- Check compatibility with iOS: Most major trackers work with Find My or have their own apps.
- Test the tracker in your space: to see if it works better than AirTags without UWB.
Why this works: Some third-party trackers use a combination of Bluetooth and network-based location to make up for the lack of UWB. They're not a perfect replacement, but they might work better for you.
My take: I tried a third-party tracker and found it marginally better, but it didn't replace the lost precision. In the end, I stuck with AirTags and the "Play Sound" feature.
💰 Repair Cost Table: What to Expect If the Phone Fails
The lack of UWB is a permanent hardware limitation, not a repair issue. However, if other components fail, here's what you can expect in 2026:
| Service | Estimated Cost (USD) | Notes |
|---|---|---|
| Apple Store Diagnostic | Free (under warranty) | They'll run diagnostics |
| Apple Store Main Logic Board Repair | $399 – $599 | Not related to UWB—this chip is absent |
| AppleCare+ Service Fee | $99 | Covers accidental damage |
My take: The lack of UWB is a design choice, not a defect. There's nothing to repair.
🔍 Diagnostic Table: Match Your Symptoms to the Right Fix
| Symptoms | Common Causes | Jump to Solution |
|---|---|---|
| AirTag won't show Precision Finding arrow | No UWB chip | Solution 1 – Use "Play Sound" |
| Find My only says "Nearby" for AirTags | No UWB chip | Solution 2 – Use Bluetooth signal |
| AirDrop is slower than other iPhones | No UWB-enhanced AirDrop | Solution 3 – Accept the limitation |
| Regret buying the phone because of missing features | Comparing to flagship models | Solution 3 – Focus on value |
🛡️ How I Coped Without UWB
After weeks of frustration, I developed habits that made the lack of UWB feel like a non-issue:
- I use the "Play Sound" feature for AirTags: It's not as good as Precision Finding, but it works .
- I stopped comparing to my friends' flagship phones: The iPhone 17e is $200 cheaper. Of course it has compromises.
- I appreciate what I got for $599: The A19 chip, 256GB storage, and MagSafe support are genuinely good value .
- I accepted that UWB isn't coming: It's a hardware limitation, not a software bug .
🔧 Technical Analysis: Why Apple Removed UWB From the iPhone 17e
Let's be honest about why this happened.
Product segmentation. Apple needs to differentiate the iPhone 17e from the iPhone 17 to justify the $200 price difference . The UWB chip is a deliberate omission to make the 17e feel like a budget option.
Cost savings. The UWB chip costs money. By removing it, Apple saves a few dollars per device—which adds up across millions of units.
What you're getting instead: For $599, you get:
- A19 chip: (same as iPhone 17)
- 256GB storage: (double the 16e)
- MagSafe support: with 15W wireless charging
- C1X modem: with double the wireless performance
- 60Hz display: (yes, that's another compromise)
- Single camera: (no ultra-wide lens)
What you're giving up: UWB chip for Precision Finding, Wi-Fi 7 support, and improved AirDrop .
The UWB reality: Japanese tech journalist Masakazu Honda noted that UWB is "deeply integrated" into Apple's ecosystem, making the omission noticeable in AirDrop, Find My, and AirTag precision finding . He also pointed out that "the lack of UWB will have a long-term impact" as UWB adoption grows .
My honest rating on durability: The lack of UWB is a permanent limitation. The phone otherwise is solid—A19 chip, C1X modem, and good build quality. The phone gets a 7.5/10 from me. It's a good phone, but the missing features are hard to ignore.
Difficulty of fixing this problem: 1/10. There's nothing to fix. It's a permanent hardware limitation.
❓ FAQ: Calming Your Fears About UWB
Q: Does the iPhone 17e have UWB?
A: No. Apple's support page confirms the iPhone 17e is excluded from the list of devices with the UWB chip .
Q: Can I add UWB to the iPhone 17e?
A: No. UWB requires specific hardware that the iPhone 17e doesn't have . No software update will add it.
Q: Does the iPhone 17e work with AirTags?
A: Yes. The iPhone 17e can still find AirTags, but without Precision Finding (the directional arrow) . You can use the "Play Sound" feature instead.
Q: Is the lack of UWB a dealbreaker?
A: It depends on your usage. If you use AirTags daily and rely on Precision Finding, the 17e will be frustrating. If you rarely use AirTags, you might not notice the omission .
Q: Does the iPhone 17e have Wi-Fi 7?
A: No. The iPhone 17e uses Wi-Fi 6, while the iPhone 17 and 17 Pro have Wi-Fi 7 .
Q: Is the iPhone 17e a bad purchase because of the missing features?
A: No. The iPhone 17e is a good phone for its price. It offers flagship performance (A19 chip), great battery life, and solid value at $599 . The missing features are compromises, not dealbreakers for most users .
Q: Why did Apple remove UWB from the 17e?
A: Product segmentation and cost savings. It's a deliberate choice to differentiate the 17e from the iPhone 17 .
✅ Final Word: It's a Compromise, Not a Catastrophe
Look, I get the frustration. I felt it too. It's 2026, and a $599 phone without UWB feels like a step backward. Every other iPhone 15 model and later has it . It's weird that using an iPhone 17e gets you a worse AirTag experience .
But here's the thing: the lack of UWB is a deliberate compromise, not a defect. Apple made it to hit the $599 price point and to differentiate the 17e from the iPhone 17 . The question isn't "is the lack of UWB bad?" It's "is the lack of UWB bad enough to ruin an otherwise excellent phone?"
For most people, the answer is no. The A19 chip is powerful. The 256GB storage is generous. The MagSafe support is welcome. And if you don't use AirTags daily, you probably won't even notice the omission .
Here's your action plan:
- Use the "Play Sound" feature for AirTags: It's not as good as Precision Finding, but it works .
- Use the "Nearby" indicator: to tell when you're in the right area.
- Focus on what you got for $599: A19 chip, 256GB storage, MagSafe, C1X modem.
- Accept that UWB isn't coming: It's a hardware limitation.
- Consider whether UWB matters to you: If it does, the iPhone 17 is the better choice.
Bookmark this guide and share it with other iPhone 17e owners. The frustration is real, but the workarounds work.
You've got this. Your phone is fine. It's just missing a feature you might not even use every day.




Post a Comment