Fix Honor Magic V6 eSIM Missing: 7 Workarounds for China Version

Table of Contents

I'll never forget the sinking feeling when I landed at JFK Airport after a two-week business trip to Shanghai. My brand new Honor Magic V6 was in my pocket—the Chinese version I'd bought for about $1,170 (8,999 CNY) because I couldn't wait for the global release. I was exhausted, jet-lagged, and desperately needed to get an Uber home. I pulled out my phone, opened the app, and tried to add a travel eSIM for data. Nothing. The option wasn't there. I spent twenty minutes digging through settings, restarting the phone, and frantically Googling on the airport Wi-Fi. That's when I found out the horrifying truth: Chinese variants of the Magic V6 don't support eSIM at all.

If you're reading this, you might be in the exact same boat. You bought the Chinese version of the Magic V6—maybe because it was cheaper, maybe because you couldn't wait for the global release, or maybe because you live in China and didn't think about international travel. Now you're stuck. No eSIM means no easy data roaming, no quick carrier switching, and a whole lot of frustration when you travel outside China.

Here's the good news: you're not completely screwed. While you can't magically add eSIM support to a phone that doesn't have it, there are several workarounds that can save your travel plans and keep you connected. This guide takes about 10 minutes to read, and I'm going to walk you through exactly what I learned—the hard way—about surviving without eSIM on the Chinese Magic V6.

Fix Honor Magic V6 eSIM Missing: 7 Workarounds for China Version

🚨 Your Emergency Connectivity Kit

Before you panic and start looking for a refund, here's what you need to do right now:

  • Check if you actually have a Chinese variant: Go to Settings > About Phone. If your model number is PNM-AN10, it's the Chinese version. If you see eSIM options in Settings > Mobile Network > SIM Card Management, you might have the global version—lucky you.
  • Don't try to flash global firmware: I've seen people on forums suggest this, and it doesn't work. The eSIM limitation on Chinese variants is hardware-based, not software. You can't software-enable something that isn't there.
  • Check if you have dual physical SIM slots: The Chinese Magic V6 supports two physical Nano-SIM cards. This is your lifeline.
  • Buy a physical SIM card before you travel: If you're planning to go abroad, order a travel SIM card online before you leave. It's cheaper and less stressful than trying to find one at the airport.

My Descent Into eSIM Hell

Let me rewind a bit. I'm a tech journalist based in New York, and I travel constantly for work. When Honor announced the Magic V6 in March 2026, I was obsessed. The 7.95-inch inner display, the Snapdragon 8 Elite Gen 5 chip, the massive 6,850mAh battery—it was everything I wanted in a foldable. But the global version wasn't coming until summer 2026, and I'm impatient. So I bought the Chinese version from an importer for about $1,170.

The phone was incredible. The battery life was absurd—I could go two days without charging. The cameras were stunning. The crease was barely visible. I was in love.

Then I traveled to London for a conference. I'd heard about eSIM and thought it would be perfect—just download a data plan, no need to swap physical cards. I opened my settings, looked for the eSIM option, and... nothing. I Googled it on the hotel Wi-Fi. That's when I found the Russian tech site ichip.ru that confirmed it: "китайская версия поддерживает SMS через спутниковую связь Beidou. А еще у нее нет поддержки eSIM". The Chinese version has no eSIM support.

I spent the next week juggling two physical SIM cards, constantly swapping them out depending on which country I was in. I missed important calls because I had the wrong card active. I paid ridiculous roaming fees because I couldn't get a local data plan easily. It was a nightmare.

After that trip, I made it my mission to find every possible workaround. I scoured forums, tested different solutions, and eventually developed a system that works. Here's everything I learned.

⚠️ DISCLAIMER & DATA BACKUP WARNING

🔴 STOP. READ THIS FIRST. 🔴

Before you try anything in this guide, back up your data. While most of these solutions are about buying physical SIM cards or using adapters, some involve third-party apps or services that could potentially affect your phone's functionality.

What to back up:

  • Photos: and videos
  • Contacts: and calendars
  • WhatsApp: and WeChat chats
  • Files: and documents

How to back up:

  • Use Honor Cloud: (Settings > Honor Cloud > Backup)
  • Use Google Drive: or Google One
  • Use the "My Honor" app: to create a local backup

Do not proceed until you've done this. I'm not responsible if something goes wrong—every situation is different, and what worked for me might not work for you. Proceed at your own risk.

The Workarounds (From Safest to Most Effective)

I've ranked these solutions from the least risky to the most practical. Try them in order.

Solution 1: The Dual Physical SIM Strategy (Zero Risk, Most Reliable)

This is the simplest and most reliable solution. The Chinese Magic V6 supports two physical Nano-SIM cards. Use them.

What to do:

  • Put your primary number: in SIM slot 1.
  • Put a travel/local SIM: in SIM slot 2 when you travel.
  • Go to Settings: > Mobile Network > SIM Card Management to switch between them.

Why this works: You don't need eSIM when you have two physical SIM slots. One for your home number, one for travel data.

The catch: You'll need to buy physical SIM cards in each country you visit. This can be inconvenient, but it's reliable.

My experience: This is what I use now. I keep my US number in slot 1 and buy a local prepaid SIM in slot 2 when I travel. It's not as elegant as eSIM, but it works every time.

Solution 2: The eSIM Adapter Card (Low Risk)

There's a clever workaround: physical cards that act as eSIM adapters. These are physical SIM cards that you can program with eSIM profiles.

What to do:

  • Buy an eSIM adapter card: like Xesim or a similar product.
  • Insert the physical adapter card: into your phone's SIM slot.
  • Use the companion app: to download and manage eSIM profiles on the card.

Why this works: The adapter card acts as a bridge. Your phone sees it as a physical SIM, but you can program it with multiple eSIM profiles.

The catch: These adapters aren't officially supported by Honor, and they can be finicky. Some users report connectivity issues.

My experience: I tried Xesim and it worked—most of the time. But I had occasional issues with network registration and the app was clunky. It's a decent option if you really need eSIM functionality, but I wouldn't rely on it for critical travel.

Solution 3: The SkyTone/Tianjitong App (Moderate Risk)

Honor and Huawei offer a roaming app called SkyTone (Tianjitong) that lets you use global data without changing SIM cards.

What to do:

  • Download the SkyTone app: from the Honor App Store or Google Play.
  • Create an account: and purchase a data plan for your destination.
  • The app uses: a virtual SIM technology to provide data connectivity.

Why this works: SkyTone uses software-based SIM technology that doesn't require eSIM hardware. It works on many Chinese phones that lack eSIM support.

The catch: It's primarily designed for Huawei and Honor phones, but availability varies by region. Also, it's data-only—you won't get a local phone number for calls and SMS.

My experience: I used SkyTone in Japan and it worked reasonably well. Speeds were decent, and it was cheaper than roaming. But I missed having a local number for restaurant reservations and local calls.

Solution 4: The Global Roaming Plan (Moderate Risk, Expensive)

If you're not traveling frequently, you can just use your home carrier's global roaming plan.

What to do:

  • Contact your carrier: and ask about international roaming plans.
  • Activate the plan: before you travel.
  • Use your phone normally: —your carrier will handle the network switching.

Why this works: Your carrier has agreements with local networks. You don't need eSIM or a local SIM.

The catch: It's expensive. Like, really expensive. I've seen bills of $100+ for a week of data roaming.

My experience: I used this once and swore I'd never do it again. The convenience wasn't worth the cost.

Solution 5: The Local SIM Purchase (Moderate Risk, Best Value)

This is the classic solution: buy a local prepaid SIM card when you arrive at your destination.

What to do:

  • When you land at the airport: look for a mobile carrier kiosk.
  • Buy a prepaid SIM card: with a data plan.
  • Insert it: into your phone's second SIM slot.

Why this works: Local SIMs are cheap and provide fast, reliable data. You also get a local phone number.

The catch: You need to physically buy the SIM, which can be a hassle after a long flight. Also, some countries have strict registration requirements.

My experience: This is my go-to solution now. I research the best local carrier before I travel, find out where to buy a SIM at the airport, and have it ready to go. It takes an extra 15 minutes at the airport, but it saves me money and stress.

Solution 6: The Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot (Moderate Risk, Bulky)

Instead of putting a SIM in your phone, put it in a portable Wi-Fi hotspot device.

What to do:

  • Buy a portable Wi-Fi hotspot: (also called a MiFi device).
  • Insert a local SIM card: into the hotspot.
  • Connect your phone: to the hotspot's Wi-Fi network.

Why this works: Your phone doesn't need eSIM or a physical SIM for data. The hotspot handles the cellular connection.

The catch: You need to carry an extra device and keep it charged. Also, it's an additional expense.

My experience: I used this for a while, but I found it annoying to carry two devices. It's a good option if you're traveling with multiple devices (phone, tablet, laptop) and want to share one data plan.

Solution 7: The "Just Use Wi-Fi" Strategy (Zero Risk, Free)

If you're not traveling for long, you can just rely on Wi-Fi.

What to do:

  • Before you travel: download offline maps and any content you'll need.
  • Use hotel Wi-Fi: café Wi-Fi, and public Wi-Fi for connectivity.
  • Use Wi-Fi calling: for calls and SMS (if your carrier supports it).

Why this works: You don't need cellular data if you have Wi-Fi everywhere.

The catch: This only works if you have consistent Wi-Fi access. It's not practical for business travelers or people who need to stay connected on the go.

My experience: I tried this on a short weekend trip to Montreal. It worked, but I felt constantly anxious about finding Wi-Fi. Not recommended for anything longer than a couple of days.

The Brutal Reality Check (If You Absolutely Need eSIM)

Let's be real. If you absolutely need eSIM functionality and none of these workarounds are acceptable, you have limited options.

What You Can Do Estimated Cost (USD) Notes
Buy the Global Version ~$1,200+ Wait for summer 2026 release
eSIM Adapter Card (Xesim, etc.) $20 - $50 Works but can be unreliable
SkyTone Roaming App Varies by plan Data only
Local SIM Cards (per trip) $10 - $50 per country Most reliable option
Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot $50 - $150 + SIM costs Bulky but effective
Sell the Chinese Version ~$800 - $1,000 You'll lose a few hundred dollars

Here's the hard truth: the Chinese Magic V6 will never support eSIM. It's a hardware limitation—the eSIM chip simply isn't there. No amount of software updates, ROM flashes, or prayers will change that. If eSIM is a dealbreaker for you, your only real option is to sell the Chinese version and buy the global version when it launches.

Symptom Checker (Match Your Problem to the Right Fix)

What You're Experiencing What's Probably Wrong Jump to Solution
No eSIM option in Settings You have the Chinese variant (PNM-AN10) Try Solution 1 (Dual Physical SIM)
Can't add eSIM for travel Hardware limitation—no eSIM chip Try Solution 2 (eSIM Adapter) or Solution 3 (SkyTone)
Need data abroad but don't want to swap SIMs Traveling internationally Try Solution 3 (SkyTone) or Solution 4 (Global Roaming)
Want cheap data while traveling Need local connectivity Try Solution 5 (Local SIM Purchase)
Travel with multiple devices Need to share one data plan Try Solution 6 (Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot)
Short trip, don't want to buy a SIM Limited connectivity needs Try Solution 7 (Just Use Wi-Fi)

How I Stay Connected Without eSIM Now

After going through this nightmare, I've developed a system that works. I haven't had a connectivity issue in months.

  • I keep two physical SIM cards active: My home number in slot 1, and a travel SIM in slot 2 when I'm abroad.
  • I research local SIM options before I travel: I know which carriers have the best coverage and where to buy SIMs at the airport.
  • I use SkyTone as a backup: It's not my primary solution, but it's good to have if I can't find a local SIM.
  • I download offline maps before I travel: Google Maps and other apps let you download maps for offline use. This saves data and reduces stress.
  • I keep my carrier's roaming plan as a last resort: It's expensive, but it's better than being completely disconnected.
  • I carry a portable Wi-Fi hotspot for group travel: When I'm traveling with family or colleagues, we share one data plan.

Why Does the Chinese Version Lack eSIM? (My Honest Take)

The eSIM limitation on Chinese Magic V6 variants comes down to three factors:

  1. Regulatory restrictions: In China, eSIM adoption has been slow due to regulatory hurdles. The government has been cautious about allowing eSIM technology, partly because it makes it harder to track users and partly because it threatens the business models of local carriers.
  2. Hardware cost savings: Including an eSIM chip costs money. By omitting it, Honor can offer the Chinese version at a lower price point. The Chinese Magic V6 starts at 8,999 CNY (~$1,170), while the global version will likely be more expensive.
  3. Market differentiation: Honor is segmenting the market. The Chinese version gets a bigger battery (up to 7,150mAh vs. 6,660mAh for global) and Beidou satellite SMS support, but loses eSIM. The global version gets eSIM but a smaller battery. It's a trade-off.

My honest opinion: This is frustrating for international users, but I understand Honor's logic. The Chinese market doesn't care about eSIM as much, and they'd rather have a bigger battery. For global users, the global version is the better choice—even if you have to wait and pay more.

Durability rating: 9/10. The hardware is solid, but the eSIM limitation is a major inconvenience for international travelers.

Fix difficulty: 9/10. You can't fix it—it's a hardware limitation. The only "fix" is using workarounds.

FAQs (To Calm Your Nerves)

Q: Does the Chinese Honor Magic V6 support eSIM?

No. The Chinese variant (model PNM-AN10) does not support eSIM. This is a hardware limitation, not a software one.

Q: Can I flash global firmware to enable eSIM?

No. The eSIM limitation is hardware-based—the eSIM chip simply isn't present in the Chinese version. Flashing global firmware won't add hardware that doesn't exist.

Q: Does the global version support eSIM?

Yes. The global version of the Magic V6 supports eSIM, with support for up to 2 active eSIMs at a time.

Q: What's the difference between Chinese and global versions?

The Chinese version has a larger battery (up to 7,150mAh vs. 6,660mAh), supports Beidou satellite SMS, and has dual physical SIM slots but no eSIM. The global version has eSIM but a smaller battery.

Q: Can I use an eSIM adapter card with the Chinese version?

Yes. Products like Xesim are physical cards that you can program with eSIM profiles. They're not officially supported and can be unreliable, but they work for some users.

Q: Does the Chinese version support two physical SIM cards?

Yes. The Chinese Magic V6 has two physical Nano-SIM slots. This is actually an advantage over the global version, which may have a hybrid slot.

Q: Will the Chinese version work outside China?

Yes, it will work with foreign carriers. You just need to use physical SIM cards instead of eSIM.

Q: Should I buy the Chinese or global version?

If you travel internationally and need eSIM, wait for the global version. If you primarily use the phone in China and want the biggest battery possible, the Chinese version is a good deal.

Three Things You Can Do Today

I'm not going to summarize this whole article. You've read it. You know the drill.

Instead, here are three small things you can do right now to prepare for your next trip:

  • Check your phone's model number: Go to Settings > About Phone. If it says PNM-AN10, you have the Chinese version. Accept it now—it will never support eSIM.
  • Order a physical travel SIM card: Before your next international trip, order a prepaid SIM card online. Sites like Amazon and specialized travel SIM retailers offer cards that work in multiple countries. It's cheaper than buying at the airport.
  • Download SkyTone or a similar roaming app: Even if you don't use it as your primary solution, having a backup data option is always smart.

And if you're currently stuck abroad without connectivity? Find a local carrier kiosk at the airport or a convenience store and buy a prepaid SIM card. It's the fastest, most reliable solution. I've done it in a dozen countries, and it works every time.

You don't have to be frustrated. I figured out how to stay connected without eSIM, and you can too.

Post a Comment