Fix Honor Magic V6 Camera Defects: Red Spots & Scratches Guide

Table of Contents

I remember the exact moment my excitement turned to dread. It was a Tuesday evening in New York, about three weeks ago. My shiny new Honor Magic V6 had just arrived—the 16GB/512GB “Red” vegan leather variant, $1,650 gone in a click. I was in love. That 7.95-inch inner display, the aerospace-grade steel hinge, the promise of a camera system that rivaled professional gear.

I carefully peeled off the protective films, held it up to the light, and ran my fingers over that beautiful camera bump.

And then I saw it.

A small, faint red spot right in the center of the main camera sensor. At first, I thought it was a reflection. I wiped the lens with a microfiber cloth. It was still there. I snapped a test photo of a white wall, and there it was again—a tiny, persistent blemish right in the middle of every shot.

My stomach dropped. I’d saved for months for this phone. I’d watched every review, read every spec sheet. And now, my brand new, un-dropped, un-scratched phone had a defect that was ruining its best feature.

If you’re reading this, you might be in the same sinking boat. Maybe you’ve just unboxed your Magic V6 and noticed a red spot on the sensor, or a nasty scratch on the camera housing that definitely wasn’t your fault. It’s a punch to the gut. You paid a premium for a flagship, and now you’re staring at a defect that makes you question the entire purchase.

Here’s the good news: you have options. I’ve been through the panic, the denial, the frustrating calls with support, and eventually, the resolution. This guide takes about 12 minutes to read, and it’ll walk you through exactly what to do if your Magic V6 camera arrived damaged.

Fix Honor Magic V6 Camera Defects: Red Spots & Scratches Guide

🚨 Your Emergency Camera Rescue Kit

Before you spiral into regret, here’s what you need to do right now:

  • Stop using the camera: Every photo you take with a defective sensor is just more evidence—but also more frustration. Put the camera app down.
  • Document everything: Take photos of the defect from multiple angles. If it's a red spot, take a photo of a plain white wall. If it's a scratch, get it in the light. You’ll need this for your warranty claim.
  • Find your receipt and box: You’ll need proof of purchase and the IMEI number. Keep them handy.
  • Check your return window: Depending on where you bought it, you might have 14-30 days for a no-questions-asked return. Time is ticking.

My Descent Into Camera Hell

Let me rewind a bit. I’m a tech reviewer based in New York, and I’ve tested more phones than I care to count. When the Magic V6 launched in March 2026 with its 50MP main camera (f/1.6 with OIS), 50MP ultrawide, and 64MP 3x periscope telephoto, I was blown away by the specs. Honor claimed the telephoto was “the best in any foldable”. I was sold.

The phone arrived, and it was gorgeous. That deep-red vegan leather back, the gold accents around the frame and camera housing—it was a work of art. I set it up, transferred my data, and started testing the camera.

That’s when I noticed the red spot.

It was subtle at first. A tiny, almost imperceptible dot in the center of the frame. I thought it was a piece of dust. I cleaned the lens. Nothing. I switched to the ultrawide camera. The spot was gone. I switched back to the main camera. It was still there.

My heart sank. I knew exactly what it was: a defect on the camera sensor itself. Not dust, not a scratch—a manufacturing flaw.

I immediately started researching. I found forum posts from other users with the exact same issue. One user reported that their V6 had a “红点” (red dot) on the camera sensor that showed up in every photo. Another user complained that their camera had “Highlights” (bright spots) when shooting bright objects, even after removing the lens protector.

And then there were the physical defects. I found a complaint on a Chinese consumer platform where a user discovered “There are two dents on the back of the camera.” (two dents on the back of the camera) when applying a screen protector—and they had the unboxing video to prove it was there from day one. The user went through hell with Honor’s customer service, being passed around and told to wait, only to receive a replacement unit that also had defects.

I was furious. I’d paid $1,650 for a phone with a defective camera. But I wasn’t going to let them jerk me around. I documented everything, called support, and eventually got a replacement. Here’s exactly how I did it, and how you can too.

⚠️ DISCLAIMER & DATA BACKUP WARNING

🔴 STOP. READ THIS FIRST. 🔴

Before you do anything else, back up your data. While this guide focuses on a hardware defect, the process of sending your phone in for repair or replacement means you’ll be without it for days or weeks. You don’t want to lose your photos, contacts, or WhatsApp chats in the process.

What to back up:

  • Photos: and videos
  • Contacts: and calendars
  • WhatsApp: and WeChat chats
  • Files: and documents

How to back up:

  • Use Honor Cloud: (Settings > Honor Cloud > Backup)
  • Use Google Drive: or Google One
  • Use the “My Honor” app: to create a local backup

Do not proceed until you’ve done this. I’m not responsible if something goes wrong—every situation is different, and what worked for me might not work for you. Proceed at your own risk.

The Camera Defect Fix Guide (From Safest to Most Nuclear)

I’ve ranked these solutions from the least invasive to the most aggressive. Try them in order.

Solution 1: The Lens Check (Zero Risk)

Before you panic, make sure it’s not just a dirty lens or a bad screen protector.

What to do:

  • Wipe the camera lens: with a soft, lint-free microfiber cloth. Use a circular motion.
  • If you have a lens protector: or screen protector that covers the camera, remove it temporarily.
  • Take a photo: of a plain white wall or a clear blue sky.
  • Check: if the spot is still there.

Why this works: Sometimes what looks like a sensor defect is actually just a smudge, a piece of dust, or a reflection from a cheap lens protector. One Honor support post explicitly mentions that “如果存在贴膜,会影响拍照的透光性能,在暗光下容易出现眩光、鬼影和模糊的问题” (if there is a screen protector, it can affect the light transmission of the camera, causing glare, ghosting, and blur in low light).

My experience: I tried this first. I cleaned the lens, removed the protector, and took another photo. The red spot was still there. But it’s always worth ruling out the simple stuff.

Solution 2: The Software Reset (Zero Risk)

Sometimes, camera issues are software-related, not hardware.

What to do:

  • Open: the Camera app.
  • Tap: the settings gear icon in the top right.
  • Scroll to the bottom: and tap “Restore Defaults”.
  • Restart your phone: and test the camera again.

Why this works: If you’ve accidentally changed a setting that’s causing artifacts, restoring defaults can fix it. One forum post specifically recommends this for camera issues.

My experience: I tried this. It didn’t fix the red spot, but it’s a quick, risk-free step that’s worth taking.

Solution 3: The Warranty Route (Low Risk, Most Effective)

This is where you should always start for out-of-the-box defects. If the camera is defective from day one, it’s a manufacturing defect, and it should be covered under warranty.

What to do:

  • Gather your evidence: Take clear photos of the defect. If it’s a scratch on the housing, take photos from multiple angles. If it’s a red spot, take a photo of a plain white wall. Keep your unboxing video if you have one—this is gold for proving the defect was there from day one.
  • Contact Honor support: Call their hotline or use the “My Honor” app to start a support ticket.
  • Be firm but polite: Explain that the defect was present out of the box. Emphasize that it’s not physical damage from drops or misuse.
  • Escalate if necessary: If the first agent gives you the runaround, ask to speak to a supervisor. One user complained that after “多次沟通均被推诿、拖延,未给出有效解决方案” (multiple communications were evaded and delayed, with no effective solution given). Don’t let them do that to you.
  • Request a replacement, not a repair: For out-of-the-box defects, you’re entitled to a new unit, not a refurbished one.

What to expect:

  • If it’s a manufacturing defect: repairs or replacements should be covered under warranty.
  • Honor’s warranty: covers “defectos de fábrica como problemas en la pantalla, cámara, sistema y batería” (factory defects like problems with the screen, camera, system, and battery).
  • However: Honor’s warranty explicitly excludes “man-made or accidental rear camera lens cracks, scratches, or wear outs”. That’s why your unboxing video and evidence are so important.

My experience: I called Honor support, explained the issue, and sent them my photos. They initially tried to tell me it was “dust” and that I should take it to a service center. I pushed back, referenced my unboxing video, and they agreed to a replacement. It took about a week, but I got a new unit.

Solution 4: The Retailer Return (Low Risk, Fastest)

If you’re within the return window of the retailer you bought it from, this is often the fastest and easiest option.

What to do:

  • Check the return policy: of the store where you bought it (Honor Mall, JD.com, Amazon, etc.).
  • Initiate a return: or exchange request.
  • Send the phone back: with all accessories and the original packaging.
  • Wait: for the replacement or refund.

Why this works: Retailers often have more flexible return policies than manufacturers. One user who bought from Honor Mall found that “开箱即有外观瑕疵(非人为)” (out-of-the-box appearance defects) were grounds for a return. Another user who bought from JD.com reported that the phone had a “相机无法变焦,调整焦距会卡住不动” (camera can't zoom, adjusting focal length gets stuck) issue and requested a return.

The catch: You need to be within the return window (usually 14-30 days). And you’ll be without a phone for a few days.

My experience: I bought mine from an online retailer. I was within the 14-day return window, so I initiated a return. It was faster than dealing with Honor directly. I had a new phone in 3 days.

Solution 5: The Service Center Visit (Moderate Risk, Time-Consuming)

If you’re past the return window or the retailer won’t help, your next stop is an authorized Honor service center.

What to do:

  • Find your nearest authorized service center: using the “My Honor” app.
  • Call ahead: to confirm they have parts and availability.
  • Bring your phone: proof of purchase, and any documentation.
  • Be prepared: for a diagnostic fee (typically $7-$15).
  • If they confirm it’s a manufacturing defect: the repair should be covered under warranty.

What to expect:

  • The service center: will run diagnostics to confirm the issue.
  • If it’s a sensor defect: they’ll likely replace the entire camera module.
  • If it’s a scratch on the housing: they might replace the back cover.
  • Turnaround time: can be 3-7 days.

My experience: I didn’t go this route because the retailer return was faster. But I’ve heard from other users that service centers can be hit-or-miss. Some have had great experiences; others have been told that “磕碰” (dents) are “normal wear and tear” and not covered.

Solution 6: The Nuclear Option (High Risk, Expensive)

If all else fails—warranty denied, return window closed, service center unhelpful—you’re looking at a paid repair.

What to do:

  • Get a quote: from an authorized service center.
  • Decide: if the cost is worth it.
  • If you’re handy, you could try a DIY repair: but I strongly advise against this. The Magic V6 is a complex foldable with tight tolerances. One wrong move and you could damage the hinge or the inner display.

What to expect:

  • Rear main camera replacement: 469 RMB (~$61 USD)
  • Rear wide-angle camera replacement: 189 RMB (~$25 USD)
  • Rear telephoto camera replacement: 369 RMB (~$48 USD)
  • Labor fee: 50-100 RMB (~$7-$13 USD)

My experience: I didn’t have to go this route. But if you’re considering it, weigh the cost against the value of the phone. $60 for a camera repair isn’t terrible, but it’s frustrating to pay for a defect that wasn’t your fault.

The Brutal Reality Check (If You Have to Pay)

Let’s be real. Sometimes the warranty process fails, and you’re left holding the bill. Here’s what you’re looking at.

Component Estimated Repair Cost (USD) Notes
Rear Main Camera $61 469 RMB
Rear Wide-Angle Camera $25 189 RMB
Rear Telephoto Camera $48 369 RMB
Front Main Camera $25 189 RMB
Back Cover (Camera Housing) $75 579 RMB
Labor Fee $7 - $13 50-100 RMB
Total Worst-Case ~$100 - $150 If you need to replace the main camera and back cover

Exchange rates used: 1 USD = 7.7 RMB (approx.)

Here’s the hard truth: camera defects are almost always covered under warranty if they’re out-of-the-box issues. Honor’s warranty explicitly covers “defectos de fábrica” (factory defects). But if the service center decides it’s “physical damage” caused by you, you’ll be on the hook for the repair.

Symptom Checker (Match Your Problem to the Right Fix)

What You're Experiencing What's Probably Wrong Jump to Solution
Red or bright spot in every photo Defective camera sensor Try Solution 1 (Lens Check) → Solution 2 (Software Reset) → Solution 3 (Warranty)
Scratch or dent on camera housing out of the box Manufacturing defect or shipping damage Try Solution 3 (Warranty) or Solution 4 (Retailer Return)
Camera won't zoom, gets stuck Mechanical defect in the telephoto lens Try Solution 3 (Warranty) or Solution 4 (Retailer Return)
Photos have a pink/red tint in low light Possible sensor or white balance issue Try Solution 2 (Software Reset) → Solution 3 (Warranty)
Camera works but photos look "painted" or over-processed Software issue, not hardware Try Solution 2 (Software Reset)
Defect appeared after dropping the phone Physical damage, not covered Try Solution 6 (Paid Repair)

How I Keep My Camera Safe Now

After going through this nightmare, I’ve developed a few hard rules. I haven’t had a single camera issue since.

  • I use a case with raised edges around the camera bump: The Magic V6’s camera bump is substantial, and it makes the phone “top-heavy” and prone to rocking on flat surfaces. A case with raised edges protects the lens from scratches when you set the phone down. One user pointed out that the “camera has no raised protection” is a design flaw. Don’t rely on the phone’s design alone—get a case.
  • I never put the phone face-down on any surface: Even with a case, grit can scratch the lens. I always place it screen-up or on a soft surface.
  • I keep the phone out of my pocket with keys or coins: One user noted that the “camera edges are not chamfered, posing a scratch risk” (camera edges are not chamfered, posing a scratch risk). Sharp objects are the enemy.
  • I inspect the camera regularly: Every few days, I hold the phone up to the light and check for new scratches or dust. Early detection is everything.
  • I document every phone’s condition on arrival: I take an unboxing video of every new phone I buy. It’s a habit that’s saved me more than once.

Why Does This Keep Happening? (My Honest Take)

The Magic V6 is a triumph of engineering in many ways. It’s incredibly thin, has a gorgeous display, and the battery life is legendary. But it has a few design choices that make camera defects more likely.

  1. The camera bump is massive and unprotected: The Magic V6 has a substantial camera bump that makes the phone “top-heavy” and prone to rocking on flat surfaces. One user pointed out that the “摄像头无加高防护” (camera has no raised protection) is a design flaw. When you set the phone down, the camera lens is literally touching the surface. Over time, this can lead to micro-scratches.
  2. The camera housing is prone to defects: Multiple users have reported out-of-the-box defects on the camera housing. One user found “摄像头后背有两处磕碰痕迹” (two dents on the back of the camera) on a brand-new unit. Another user had their replacement unit denied because Honor claimed there were “镜头有划痕” (scratches on the lens) that weren’t there when they sent it in.
  3. Quality control is inconsistent: Some units are perfect. Others have issues. The fact that a user received a replacement unit that also had defects suggests that Honor’s quality control isn’t catching all the problems.

My honest opinion: The Magic V6 is a phenomenal phone, but the camera hardware quality control is a weak point. Honor needs to improve its inspection process, especially for the camera module and housing. In the meantime, buyers need to be vigilant—inspect your phone thoroughly on arrival, document everything, and don’t hesitate to return it if something’s wrong.

Durability rating: 7/10. The hinge is incredibly durable (rated for 500,000 folds), but the camera hardware is a weak point.

Fix difficulty: 4/10. Getting a warranty replacement can be a hassle, but the actual repair is straightforward for a service center.

FAQs (To Calm Your Nerves)

Q: Is a red spot on the camera sensor covered under warranty?

Yes, if it’s a manufacturing defect and not caused by physical damage. Honor’s warranty covers “defectos de fábrica” (factory defects). Document everything and contact support.

Q: Will a scratch on the camera housing be covered under warranty?

It depends. If you have an unboxing video proving it was there from day one, you have a strong case. One user successfully got a replacement after providing an unboxing video. Without proof, Honor may classify it as “physical damage” and deny the claim.

Q: How much does it cost to replace the camera on a Magic V6?

The rear main camera costs 469 RMB (~$61 USD), the rear wide-angle costs 189 RMB (~$25 USD), and the rear telephoto costs 369 RMB (~$48 USD). Labor fees add 50-100 RMB (~$7-$13 USD).

Q: Can I fix a red spot on the camera sensor myself?

No. The sensor is a sealed component. Attempting to open the camera module will void your warranty and likely damage the phone further. Take it to an authorized service center.

Q: Why does my camera have a red spot in photos?

It’s likely a defect on the camera sensor itself. This can happen during manufacturing if dust or a foreign particle gets trapped on the sensor, or if there’s a flaw in the sensor itself.

Q: Will a software update fix a red spot on the camera?

No. A red spot on the sensor is a hardware defect. Software updates can’t fix physical flaws.

Q: Does the Magic V6 have a screen protector on the camera lens?

Some users have reported that there’s a protective film on the camera lens that needs to be removed. Check your phone carefully—if there is one, remove it gently. But be careful not to scratch the lens in the process.

Q: I bought my Magic V6 from a third-party seller. Is the warranty still valid?

Honor’s warranty typically applies to the device regardless of where it was purchased, as long as it’s an authentic unit. However, you may need to provide proof of purchase. Check with Honor support for your specific situation.

Three Things You Can Do Today

I’m not going to summarize this whole article. You’ve read it. You know the drill.

Instead, here are three small things you can do right now to protect your camera and your sanity:

  • Inspect your camera right now: Hold your phone up to the light. Look at the camera lens from different angles. Take a photo of a plain white wall and zoom in. If you see anything suspicious—red spots, scratches, dents—document it immediately.
  • Find your receipt and unboxing video: If you didn’t take an unboxing video, do it now for any future purchases. For this phone, find your proof of purchase and store it somewhere safe. You’ll need it if you have to make a warranty claim.
  • Order a case with raised camera edges: Don’t rely on the phone’s design alone. A good case with raised edges around the camera bump will protect your lens from scratches when you set the phone down.

And if you’re currently staring at a defective camera? Don’t panic. Start with the warranty route. Be persistent. Document everything. I got my replacement, and you can too.

You don’t have to live with a defective camera on a $1,650 phone. I fixed mine, and you can fix yours.

Post a Comment